Aug 28, 2012, 5:13 PM EDT
There hasn’t been much to get excited about on the recruiting trail for Washington State in recent years, but when they beat out the likes of UNLV, Washington, Gonzaga and SDSU for top 100 wing Demarquise ‘Que’ Johnson, it created a bit of a buzz in Pullman.
Because Johnson, who at 6-foot-5 packs a bit of a scoring punch, was supposed to join senior Reggie Moore and Kansas transfer Royce Woolridge in a perimeter attack that would take some of the focus off of potential Pac-12 Player of the Year Brock Motum.
That won’t be happening, however, as Johnson has been ruled a partial qualifier by the NCAA. (Well, technically speaking, he wasn’t actually a partial qualifier but a non-qualifier with a waiver.) What that means, essentially, is that Johnson will be forced to spend this season as a redshirt, going to class and boosting his grades enough that he’ll be eligible next season.
Back in May, CBSSports.com reported that Johnson had received a qualifying SAT score and was waiting for clearance on the classes that he took at Westwind Prep.
With Johnson out of the mix, expect senior Mike Ladd and sophomore DaVonte Lacy to carry a heavier workload on the wing. Or, if you’re like our friends over at Coug Center, you should get excited about freshman Richard Longrus.
Here’s what you’ll be missing this year, Cougar fans:
(Photo credit: Hardwood Elite)
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 1
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 2
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- WATCH LIVE: Wings-Hawks, Game 4
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1