Aug 28, 2012, 5:13 PM EST
There hasn’t been much to get excited about on the recruiting trail for Washington State in recent years, but when they beat out the likes of UNLV, Washington, Gonzaga and SDSU for top 100 wing Demarquise ‘Que’ Johnson, it created a bit of a buzz in Pullman.
Because Johnson, who at 6-foot-5 packs a bit of a scoring punch, was supposed to join senior Reggie Moore and Kansas transfer Royce Woolridge in a perimeter attack that would take some of the focus off of potential Pac-12 Player of the Year Brock Motum.
That won’t be happening, however, as Johnson has been ruled a partial qualifier by the NCAA. (Well, technically speaking, he wasn’t actually a partial qualifier but a non-qualifier with a waiver.) What that means, essentially, is that Johnson will be forced to spend this season as a redshirt, going to class and boosting his grades enough that he’ll be eligible next season.
Back in May, CBSSports.com reported that Johnson had received a qualifying SAT score and was waiting for clearance on the classes that he took at Westwind Prep.
With Johnson out of the mix, expect senior Mike Ladd and sophomore DaVonte Lacy to carry a heavier workload on the wing. Or, if you’re like our friends over at Coug Center, you should get excited about freshman Richard Longrus.
Here’s what you’ll be missing this year, Cougar fans:
(Photo credit: Hardwood Elite)
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? 2
- North Carolina shows up ready to compete, knocks off No. 1 Michigan State 1
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role 2
- The Chase for 180: Doug McDermott’s tough night 0
- Michigan’s offensive struggles in 79-69 loss to Duke a major concern 1
- Marshall Henderson’s on-court antics aren’t changing. Deal with it (5)
- No. 5 Oklahoma State’s win over Purdue exemplifies issues with new foul rules (3)
- Tim Floyd tees off on Andy Enfield: ‘We’re not going to take it in the shorts’ (3)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- No. 20 Creighton gets 27 from Doug McDermott, stifles Jahii Carson in blowout (2)