Aug 29, 2012, 3:42 PM EDT
Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook has released its annual Preseason All-American team.
Take a look at Blue Ribbon’s 2012-13 team below:
Peyton Siva, Louisville
Siva, fresh off a Big East tournament title and a trip to the Final Four in New Orleans, enters his senior year as the point guard for a team that will have high expectations.
Alongside Gorgui Dieng and Chane Behanan, Louisville is likely the favorite to win the conference and some will predict a national championship for the Cardinals.
Last season, Siva averaged 9.1 points, 5.6 assists, and 3.2 rebounds per game for Louisville.
Michael Snaer, Florida State
Last week, Snaer expressed his belief that he is “the best two-guard in the country” and a selection to Blue Ribbon’s team might help to validate that assertion.
He averaged 14.0 points and 3.8 rebounds per game in a breakout season for the Seminoles in 2011-12. Perhaps Duke fans will remember him most for this huge shot at Cameron Indoor which allowed FSU to escape with a win.
Deshaun Thomas, Ohio State
Thomas decided not to follow his teammate Jared Sullinger into the draft and is a Preseason All-American because of it.
He averaged 15.9 points and 5.4 rebounds per game last season, but the biggest question will be whether he picks up the defensive intensity.
“I like playing defense now,’’ Thomas was quoted as saying during the NCAA tournament last season. “It’s a game-changer. Last year, I used to just come in the game, chuck threes. I didn’t care about defense. I take very good pride in it now. It’s just that scoring mentality. Coming out of high school, I had the green light. So now I can do more: put it on the floor, pass, knock down open shots.’’
Doug McDermott, Creighton
As just a sophomore last season, McDermott put up a stellar 22.9 points and 8.2 rebounds per game for Creighton.
He now returns and is the centerpiece of a team looking to improve on a 26-9 finish. He was an AP All-American in 2011-12 and will look to repeat this season.
Cody Zeller, Indiana
Speaking of centerpieces, Zeller is just that for the team that many expect to be No. 1 when the first poll is released this fall.
The 6-11, 230-pound sophomore averaged 15.6 points and 6.6 rebounds per game for an Indiana team that reached the Sweet 16.
Indiana welcomes an important recruiting class for the 2012-13 season, but Zeller will once again be the focus.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 0
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)