Aug 30, 2012, 10:13 PM EDT
Frank Martin got some great news on Thursday, as LaShay Page has reported been cleared to play this season for the Gamecocks, according to Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com.
Page spent the past two seasons at Southern Miss after beginning his collegiate career at Chipola Junior College. As a junior, the 6-foot-2 guard averaged 11.6 points.
Page finished his coursework and graduated from Southern Miss, but the SEC recently decided to ban one-year graduate transfers. Page was cleared in large part due to family issues. He’s a South Carolina native with a five-year old daughter that lives in Marion, SC. His mother also passed away back in February.
South Carolina lost three of their top four scorers from a team that went 10-21 last season. Martin has a long way to go to build this program into a perennial contender, and while Page certainly isn’t a program changer as a one-year rental, he’s a good player that brings experience to the roster.
“It’s great being an in state kid to have the opportunity to come back and have my family see me play,” Page said back in June. “I’m also thrilled about having the opportunity to play for Frank Martin and turning the South Carolina program around.”
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 2
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 2
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte