Aug 31, 2012, 6:20 PM EDT
While the NCAA has become more lenient in recent years when it comes to handing out immediate eligibility waivers to transfers, the general rule is that transfers must sit for one academic year.
That’s what guard Cedric McAfee faced upon his arrival at Tulsa after being dismissed from the Auburn program in April.
But days after enrolling at Tulsa McAfee has decided that sitting a year would be too much, and he will now look to enroll in a junior college according to Bill Haisten of the Tulsa World.
“Cedrick had a growing desire to play basketball immediately and not have to miss one full season before getting back to playing competitively,” TU coach Danny Manning said. “We’re extremely disappointed that he has decided to leave TU.
“After conversations with Cedrick and his mother, they felt it was in his best interest to be on the court this season and not have to sit out another year.”
McAfee played in just three games at Auburn last year due to a stress fracture in his foot, so sitting out another season was something that didn’t appeal to he or his family.
Would the NCAA given that year back on the back end of McAfee’s career? Possibly, and maybe the next four-year school McAfee attends will look into that when the time comes.
But when considering the prospects of having to sit another year, it isn’t much of a surprise that McAfee would decide to move on.
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 2
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 2
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte