Aug 31, 2012, 11:57 AM EDT
Michigan State transfer Dwaun Anderson has been granted a waiver by the NCAA and will be eligible to play right away at his new school, Wagner, Cormac Gordon of the Staten Island Advance is reporting.
“It’s obviously great news for us,” coach Bashir Mason told the paper. “With Dwaun available it means we can begin establishing our identity as team as soon as practice begins.”
Mason, the 28-year-old first-year coach, is the youngest head coach in the country, inheriting the Wagner program from Dan Hurley after he left to take the same position at Rhode Island.
He now welcomes Anderson, who won Mr. Basketball in the state of Michigan in 2011.
Anderson did not enroll at Michigan state in the fall of 2011, saying in a statement that he wanted to focus on family after the death of his mother.
“I’ve been in counseling as I attempt to cope with these issues, and I plan to undergo further counseling,” he said. “I want to get all my personal issues in order before moving on to the next stage of my life.”
The 6-4, 200-pound guard brings athleticism and has a chance to excel at the NEC level.
“It’s like a cloud has been lifted from the beginning of the season,” Mason told the paper. “We know what a good person Dwaun is, and he’s made a terrific adjustment to being here at Wagner as a student. Now we’ll see how he takes to the coaching.”
Wagner is coming off a 25-6 season, including 15-3 in the NEC.
Photo Credit: Wagner Athletics
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)