Aug 31, 2012, 11:57 AM EST
Michigan State transfer Dwaun Anderson has been granted a waiver by the NCAA and will be eligible to play right away at his new school, Wagner, Cormac Gordon of the Staten Island Advance is reporting.
“It’s obviously great news for us,” coach Bashir Mason told the paper. “With Dwaun available it means we can begin establishing our identity as team as soon as practice begins.”
Mason, the 28-year-old first-year coach, is the youngest head coach in the country, inheriting the Wagner program from Dan Hurley after he left to take the same position at Rhode Island.
He now welcomes Anderson, who won Mr. Basketball in the state of Michigan in 2011.
Anderson did not enroll at Michigan state in the fall of 2011, saying in a statement that he wanted to focus on family after the death of his mother.
“I’ve been in counseling as I attempt to cope with these issues, and I plan to undergo further counseling,” he said. “I want to get all my personal issues in order before moving on to the next stage of my life.”
The 6-4, 200-pound guard brings athleticism and has a chance to excel at the NEC level.
“It’s like a cloud has been lifted from the beginning of the season,” Mason told the paper. “We know what a good person Dwaun is, and he’s made a terrific adjustment to being here at Wagner as a student. Now we’ll see how he takes to the coaching.”
Wagner is coming off a 25-6 season, including 15-3 in the NEC.
Photo Credit: Wagner Athletics
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 1
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)