Aug 31, 2012, 11:57 AM EST
Michigan State transfer Dwaun Anderson has been granted a waiver by the NCAA and will be eligible to play right away at his new school, Wagner, Cormac Gordon of the Staten Island Advance is reporting.
“It’s obviously great news for us,” coach Bashir Mason told the paper. “With Dwaun available it means we can begin establishing our identity as team as soon as practice begins.”
Mason, the 28-year-old first-year coach, is the youngest head coach in the country, inheriting the Wagner program from Dan Hurley after he left to take the same position at Rhode Island.
He now welcomes Anderson, who won Mr. Basketball in the state of Michigan in 2011.
Anderson did not enroll at Michigan state in the fall of 2011, saying in a statement that he wanted to focus on family after the death of his mother.
“I’ve been in counseling as I attempt to cope with these issues, and I plan to undergo further counseling,” he said. “I want to get all my personal issues in order before moving on to the next stage of my life.”
The 6-4, 200-pound guard brings athleticism and has a chance to excel at the NEC level.
“It’s like a cloud has been lifted from the beginning of the season,” Mason told the paper. “We know what a good person Dwaun is, and he’s made a terrific adjustment to being here at Wagner as a student. Now we’ll see how he takes to the coaching.”
Wagner is coming off a 25-6 season, including 15-3 in the NEC.
Photo Credit: Wagner Athletics
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 20
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)