Sep 2, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
After being the No. 4 overall pick in the 2012 NBA draft, Dion Waiters surely has the money to buy his own dinners without a problem.
But what he did for one New York family goes beyond just the price of a meal.
The story comes from the Syracuse Post-Standard, beginning with a rather routine autograph signing for Waiters and ending with the former Syracuse star eating a taco dinner with one lucky family.
According to the report, Waiters was given a note written by the mother of one of his 12-year-old fans, casually inviting him to dinner with the family. She promised tacos.
Waiters responded quickly to the phone number listed on the note, accepting the invitation and bringing some guests along with him.
He posed for photos, ate dinner, and played some basketball with the family.
“It was really fun and it was really cool being able to meet an NBA player,” Mikaila Ryan, the fan of Waiters’ whose mother set up the visit, told the Post-Standard. “I was surprised that he actually came, though. He came and he didn’t even know us.”
Waiters averaged 12.6 points and 2.5 assists per game for Syracuse last season, seeing his draft stock soar leading up to draft night and ultimately landing with the Cavaliers at No. 4.
“I just wanted people to know what a genuine guy he is,” Andrea Mackey, Mikaila’s mother, told the paper. “He’s someone to root for and want your kids to root for.”
To read the full story, click here.
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 2
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 2
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte