Sep 2, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
The headliner for the Texas Titans on the spring/summer circuit for the last few years has been Julius Randle and with good reason, as he’s one of the top 2013 prospects in the country.
After Randle there’s 2013 Duke commit Matt Jones, hailed by many as one of the best perimeter shooters in the class and a very good defender as well.
But the Titans had another prospect in 6-9 forward Damian Jones who isn’t as polished as Randle but his upside pushed him into the top 100 in multiple rankings.
On Sunday Jones verbally committed to Vanderbilt, deciding after his visit to the Nashville campus he’d seen all that he needed to according to Scout.com.
A native of Baton Rouge, Jones also held offers from LSU, Florida, Georgia, Kansas State, Oklahoma, St. John’s and Stanford according to Rivals.com.
Jones has designs on being an electrical engineer down the line, and according to US News & World Report the school’s engineering department is ranked 34th nationally.
Vanderbilt is now on the board in the 2013 class, and with no seniors on the 2012-13 roster Jones figures to be joining an experienced team next year.
video h/t to Busting Brackets
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)