Sep 2, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
The headliner for the Texas Titans on the spring/summer circuit for the last few years has been Julius Randle and with good reason, as he’s one of the top 2013 prospects in the country.
After Randle there’s 2013 Duke commit Matt Jones, hailed by many as one of the best perimeter shooters in the class and a very good defender as well.
But the Titans had another prospect in 6-9 forward Damian Jones who isn’t as polished as Randle but his upside pushed him into the top 100 in multiple rankings.
On Sunday Jones verbally committed to Vanderbilt, deciding after his visit to the Nashville campus he’d seen all that he needed to according to Scout.com.
A native of Baton Rouge, Jones also held offers from LSU, Florida, Georgia, Kansas State, Oklahoma, St. John’s and Stanford according to Rivals.com.
Jones has designs on being an electrical engineer down the line, and according to US News & World Report the school’s engineering department is ranked 34th nationally.
Vanderbilt is now on the board in the 2013 class, and with no seniors on the 2012-13 roster Jones figures to be joining an experienced team next year.
video h/t to Busting Brackets
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 31
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 7
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 10
- Frank Kaminsky’s growth results in individual and team benefits for No. 1 Wisconsin 3
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 11
- No. 1 Duke advances to Elite 8 with win over No. 5 Utah 2
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 2
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (42)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten, SEC champions headed to Indy (25)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)