Sep 2, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
The headliner for the Texas Titans on the spring/summer circuit for the last few years has been Julius Randle and with good reason, as he’s one of the top 2013 prospects in the country.
After Randle there’s 2013 Duke commit Matt Jones, hailed by many as one of the best perimeter shooters in the class and a very good defender as well.
But the Titans had another prospect in 6-9 forward Damian Jones who isn’t as polished as Randle but his upside pushed him into the top 100 in multiple rankings.
On Sunday Jones verbally committed to Vanderbilt, deciding after his visit to the Nashville campus he’d seen all that he needed to according to Scout.com.
A native of Baton Rouge, Jones also held offers from LSU, Florida, Georgia, Kansas State, Oklahoma, St. John’s and Stanford according to Rivals.com.
Jones has designs on being an electrical engineer down the line, and according to US News & World Report the school’s engineering department is ranked 34th nationally.
Vanderbilt is now on the board in the 2013 class, and with no seniors on the 2012-13 roster Jones figures to be joining an experienced team next year.
video h/t to Busting Brackets
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 4
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)