Sep 2, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
The headliner for the Texas Titans on the spring/summer circuit for the last few years has been Julius Randle and with good reason, as he’s one of the top 2013 prospects in the country.
After Randle there’s 2013 Duke commit Matt Jones, hailed by many as one of the best perimeter shooters in the class and a very good defender as well.
But the Titans had another prospect in 6-9 forward Damian Jones who isn’t as polished as Randle but his upside pushed him into the top 100 in multiple rankings.
On Sunday Jones verbally committed to Vanderbilt, deciding after his visit to the Nashville campus he’d seen all that he needed to according to Scout.com.
A native of Baton Rouge, Jones also held offers from LSU, Florida, Georgia, Kansas State, Oklahoma, St. John’s and Stanford according to Rivals.com.
Jones has designs on being an electrical engineer down the line, and according to US News & World Report the school’s engineering department is ranked 34th nationally.
Vanderbilt is now on the board in the 2013 class, and with no seniors on the 2012-13 roster Jones figures to be joining an experienced team next year.
video h/t to Busting Brackets
- Throwback Thursday: Illinois and Arizona spar in a phenomenal 2005 Elite 8 game 0
- Oklahoma State lands commitment from elite point guard in 2015 0
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- NCAA twitter account effortlessly trolls MLB during playoff opener (2)
- Frank Haith lands first commitment as head coach at Tulsa (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)