Sep 3, 2012, 12:44 AM EDT
After seeing two of his assistant coaches leave Tempe for other schools, Arizona State head coach Herb Sendek is on the verge of filling those vacancies.
Both have NBA backgrounds, as Greer was one of Nate McMillan’s assistants in Portland last season (after spending the past four years as an advance scout in the organization) and Musselman was a head coach at both Golden State (2002-04) and Sacramento (2006-07).
Last season Musselman served as head coach of the Los Angeles D-Fenders, the Lakers’ NBA D-League affiliate, and he also coached the Venezuelan national team.
Greer and Musselman join the program in what’s an important season for the Sun Devil program, as they look to bounce back from a 10-21 campaign.
Point guard Jahii Carson is eligible, as is Liberty transfer Evan Gordon, but with three of the top four scorers from last season no longer in the program there’s a lot of work to be done.
And with the Pac-12 receiving a sold boost in talent, this could be a tough season for Arizona State to bounce back and improve their standing within the conference.
“We have some new faces and could have a lot of changes in what we do, both subtle and obvious, and the schedule is appropriate for this team right now,” noted Sendek in a school release announcing their 2012-13 schedule.
“We had some good momentum towards the latter part of last season with Carrick (Felix), Jordan (Bachynski), Jon (Gilling), Chris (Colvin) and Ruslan (Pateev) playing well and making big improvements in their game.
“We also are counting on three players to make an impact who only could practice last year, as well as getting three freshman adjusted.”
Given their NBA experience the hope is that the additions of Greer and Musselman can help from a skill development standpoint.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)