Sep 4, 2012, 9:07 PM EDT
The 2KSports Classic has filled out their field and, well, it’s not really all that impressive.
In addition to the four host schools — Oregon State, Villanova, Alabama and Purdue — six Division I programs have been added: Marshall, South Dakota State, New Mexico State, Bucknell, Niagara and Hofstra.
The other three teams that fill out the rest of the field aren’t exactly going to be boosting anyone’s RPI. West Alabama and UDC — as in the University of the District of Columbia, which I’m betting a lot of people had no idea existed — are both Division II programs, while Northern New Mexico competes at the NAIA level.
Frankly, I hate the setup of this “tournament”, which isn’t actually a tournament at all. Oregon State, Villanova, Alabama and Purdue are all going to be heading to New York regardless of whether or not they win their regional. And there is no guarantee that any of those four teams do that: Marshall, SDSU and Bucknell all are capable of making the NCAA tournament this season, while New Mexico State is one of the better programs left in the WAC. I wouldn’t be surprised to see two of the host teams fall in the regional, and I’d put money on more “visitors” than host teams making the NCAA tournament come March.
This is a four-team exhibition that guarantees its participants games that help fill out the schedule.
That’s fine. (In fact, it’s beneficial, as it locks in some solid games in early November. It also benefits the Wounded Warrior Project.)
I just wish they wouldn’t refer to it as a tournament.
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 0
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months