Sep 4, 2012, 5:04 PM EDT
Rick Ray’s first season in Starkville is looking more and more like a disaster waiting to happen.
Forget the fact that Dee Bost graduated, Renardo Sidney and Arnett Moultrie went pro while Rodney Hood transferred to Duke, because there are few coaches in the country that would be able to overcome that kind of loss of talent without heading up one of the Blue Bloods.
In late July, incoming freshman Jacoby Davis, who was slated to be a starter at the point guard spot, tore his ACL. Then in August, Fred Thomas, another freshman guard, broke his foot and will miss at least a month.
And now, Ray’s depth took another his, as Shaun Smith and Kristers Zeidaks were both kicked off of the Bulldog team.
“This is an unfortunate situation for Shaun, Kris and our team,” Ray said in a statement. “However, players must be held accountable for their actions. Both will remain on scholarship and have the academic support all our other student-athletes receive. I wish them the very best moving on with their careers.”
Smith, a junior guard, had played very limited minutes in his two seasons with Mississippi State, but Zeidaks was expected to compete for a starting spot this year. The native-Latvian sat out last season due to amateurism issues, and was scheduled to miss the first 11 games this year as well.
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 1
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 3
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights