Sep 4, 2012, 10:39 AM EDT
Dez Wells, the sophomore forward who was expelled from Xavier last month, has committed to Maryland, he announced on his Twitter account Tuesday.
The 6-5 North Carolina native chose the Terrapins over Oregon and Memphis.
“The last couple of weeks have been the toughest in my life for my family and I,” he wrote. “I’ve learned that it is a major responsibility that comes with being a student athlete at all times.
“I’m thankful that God has blessed me with a second opportunity to continue my education.”
As a freshman at Xavier last season, the ultra-athletic Wells averaged 9.8 points per game and 4.9 rebounds per game. He was named to the Atlantic-10 All-Freshman team for his efforts.
The eligibility situation for Wells could be an interesting one as, though he was expelled from Xavier, widespread criticism of the case surfaced in its wake.
No charges were ultimately filed in the case and the prosecutor went on record to say that Xavier should revisit the case of Wells’ expulsion and the move to expel him was “fundamentally unfair.”
Reports have been that Wells will look to get a waiver from the NCAA, but it is unlikely that it will be granted.
As for Maryland, coach Mark Turgeon has a strong 2012 recruiting class coming to College Park, led by big man Shaquille Cleare and Jake Layman. The Terrapins are also in the hunt for the most coveted duo in the country, Aaron and Andrew Harrison.
Also transferring to Maryland is former Michigan forward Evan Smotrycz. With Wells and the rest and the possible addition of the Harrison twins, Maryland could be a legitimate contender down the line.
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)
- Blue Ribbon releases their Preseason First Team All-Americans (1)