Sep 4, 2012, 10:39 AM EST
Dez Wells, the sophomore forward who was expelled from Xavier last month, has committed to Maryland, he announced on his Twitter account Tuesday.
The 6-5 North Carolina native chose the Terrapins over Oregon and Memphis.
“The last couple of weeks have been the toughest in my life for my family and I,” he wrote. “I’ve learned that it is a major responsibility that comes with being a student athlete at all times.
“I’m thankful that God has blessed me with a second opportunity to continue my education.”
As a freshman at Xavier last season, the ultra-athletic Wells averaged 9.8 points per game and 4.9 rebounds per game. He was named to the Atlantic-10 All-Freshman team for his efforts.
The eligibility situation for Wells could be an interesting one as, though he was expelled from Xavier, widespread criticism of the case surfaced in its wake.
No charges were ultimately filed in the case and the prosecutor went on record to say that Xavier should revisit the case of Wells’ expulsion and the move to expel him was “fundamentally unfair.”
Reports have been that Wells will look to get a waiver from the NCAA, but it is unlikely that it will be granted.
As for Maryland, coach Mark Turgeon has a strong 2012 recruiting class coming to College Park, led by big man Shaquille Cleare and Jake Layman. The Terrapins are also in the hunt for the most coveted duo in the country, Aaron and Andrew Harrison.
Also transferring to Maryland is former Michigan forward Evan Smotrycz. With Wells and the rest and the possible addition of the Harrison twins, Maryland could be a legitimate contender down the line.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 6
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 13
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)