Sep 4, 2012, 3:46 PM EST
Michael Clarke Duncan, the Oscar-nominated actor who was described by many as a 6-5, 300-pound “gentle giant,” passed away Monday from complications that stemmed from a heart attack he suffered in July. He was 54 years old.
Aside from his success with movies that include “The Green Mile” and his undeniable presence on the silver screen, CBSSports.com uncovered an interesting bit about Clarke Duncan: he was also a former college basketball player, having played as a walk-on at Alcorn State in 1983-84.
“He was a tough, physical player,” Clarke Duncan’s former coach, Davey Whitney, told CBSSports.com. “He was undersized and didn’t weigh much back then, but he was very strong and powerful.”
Before coming to Alcorn State, Clarke Duncan played at Kankakee Community College (Ill.) before joining Alcorn State, but eventually had to leave the team due to what were deemed “family reasons.”
“And he was a pretty good player,” Whitney added. “He was just tough. He’d knock guys around. It’s really sad that he’s gone at such a young age.”
To read Jeff Goodman’s full story, click here.
Below is the trailer for “The Green Mile,” which garnered Clarke Duncan an Oscar nomination.
- NBCSports.com Midseason All-American Team 0
- Kentucky still has one more major test to pass this season and it might not come against Louisville 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: The showdown between Kentucky, Louisville looms 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Ohio State Buckeyes 0
- Weekly Awards: Marquette’s new addition, a shakeup in Pac-12’s power structure ? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top 25: Virginia moves up, three teams drop out 1
- ACC suspends Louisville junior forward Montrezl Harrell one game 1
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Tracking The Unbeatens: There are now just nine teams without a loss (3)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)