Sep 4, 2012, 3:46 PM EDT
Michael Clarke Duncan, the Oscar-nominated actor who was described by many as a 6-5, 300-pound “gentle giant,” passed away Monday from complications that stemmed from a heart attack he suffered in July. He was 54 years old.
Aside from his success with movies that include “The Green Mile” and his undeniable presence on the silver screen, CBSSports.com uncovered an interesting bit about Clarke Duncan: he was also a former college basketball player, having played as a walk-on at Alcorn State in 1983-84.
“He was a tough, physical player,” Clarke Duncan’s former coach, Davey Whitney, told CBSSports.com. “He was undersized and didn’t weigh much back then, but he was very strong and powerful.”
Before coming to Alcorn State, Clarke Duncan played at Kankakee Community College (Ill.) before joining Alcorn State, but eventually had to leave the team due to what were deemed “family reasons.”
“And he was a pretty good player,” Whitney added. “He was just tough. He’d knock guys around. It’s really sad that he’s gone at such a young age.”
To read Jeff Goodman’s full story, click here.
Below is the trailer for “The Green Mile,” which garnered Clarke Duncan an Oscar nomination.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)