Sep 4, 2012, 3:46 PM EDT
Michael Clarke Duncan, the Oscar-nominated actor who was described by many as a 6-5, 300-pound “gentle giant,” passed away Monday from complications that stemmed from a heart attack he suffered in July. He was 54 years old.
Aside from his success with movies that include “The Green Mile” and his undeniable presence on the silver screen, CBSSports.com uncovered an interesting bit about Clarke Duncan: he was also a former college basketball player, having played as a walk-on at Alcorn State in 1983-84.
“He was a tough, physical player,” Clarke Duncan’s former coach, Davey Whitney, told CBSSports.com. “He was undersized and didn’t weigh much back then, but he was very strong and powerful.”
Before coming to Alcorn State, Clarke Duncan played at Kankakee Community College (Ill.) before joining Alcorn State, but eventually had to leave the team due to what were deemed “family reasons.”
“And he was a pretty good player,” Whitney added. “He was just tough. He’d knock guys around. It’s really sad that he’s gone at such a young age.”
To read Jeff Goodman’s full story, click here.
Below is the trailer for “The Green Mile,” which garnered Clarke Duncan an Oscar nomination.
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- AAU Nationals Friday Recap: Event moves to Louisville, Bruce Brown plays well, Noah Dickerson updates recruitment 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (2)