Sep 5, 2012, 9:38 AM EDT
Craig Robinson, head coach of the Oregon State Beavers and brother of First Lady Michelle Obama, used his speaking slot at Tuesday’s Democratic National Convention in part to make a recruiting pitch on the national stage.
Standing alongside President Obama’s sister, Maya Soetoro-ng, he introduced himself to the crowd in Charlotte, N.C.
“I’m Craig Robinson, Michelle Obama’s big brother, father of four and head coach of Oregon State University’s men’s basketball team,” he said, pausing for a cheer from the crowd. “Any seven-footers out there, gimme a call!”
He went on to speak glowingly of his sister, Michelle, talking about her commitment to helping military families during her close to four years as First Lady.
“She’s still the kind little sister she always was—now she’s just sticking up for those who stand up for us,” he said. “And I’m proud of her work to give our children a healthier start in life. Let’s face it, Maya, I’m going to need the recruits!”
The line was met with laughter from the crowd.
Robinson’s Beavers finished 21-15 overall last season, including 7-11 in the Pac-12. Their biggest obstacle in 2012-13 will be replacing leading scorer Jared Cunningham, who entered the NBA draft and was selected 24th overall by the Dallas Mavericks.
Oregon State welcomes five newcomers from the Class of 2012, led by Georgia forward Jarmal Reid. While at the DNC, Robinson picked up another commitment, this coming from 6-9 Dutch forward Olaf Schaftenaar, who is eligible to play at the start of the season.
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)