Sep 5, 2012, 5:15 PM EDT
The NCAA’s verdict is in. According to Kevin McNamara, who is the Providence beat writer for the Providence Journal, star recruit Ricky Ledo won’t be suiting up for the Friars on gamedays this season.
He will, however, be able to suit up for practice while he spends the year trying to get himself academically eligible.
Ledo bounced around during his high school career, raising enough red flags that some bigger programs backed off of their interest in him.
This is bad news for Ed Cooley, whose program-changing recruiting class takes yet another hit. Kris Dunn, a top 20 recruit and arguably the nation’s best freshman point guard, is recovering from shoulder surgery and won’t be available until at least December. There’s a chance he will miss the season. Arizona transfer Sidiki Johnson doesn’t become eligible until December. Another incoming freshman, Ian Baker, tore his ACL over the summer before deciding against enrolling at Providence.
The question now becomes whether or not Ledo will actually remain on campus for the year. If he can’t take the concept of sitting out of games until November, 2013, Europe and the D-League are both potential options for Ledo.
With more talented transfers getting eligible in 2013-2014, Cooley’s program is still trending in the right direction.
It just might take a year longer than we expected.
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 1
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 4
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (14)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins third straight pole in Monaco
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final