Sep 5, 2012, 5:15 PM EDT
The NCAA’s verdict is in. According to Kevin McNamara, who is the Providence beat writer for the Providence Journal, star recruit Ricky Ledo won’t be suiting up for the Friars on gamedays this season.
He will, however, be able to suit up for practice while he spends the year trying to get himself academically eligible.
Ledo bounced around during his high school career, raising enough red flags that some bigger programs backed off of their interest in him.
This is bad news for Ed Cooley, whose program-changing recruiting class takes yet another hit. Kris Dunn, a top 20 recruit and arguably the nation’s best freshman point guard, is recovering from shoulder surgery and won’t be available until at least December. There’s a chance he will miss the season. Arizona transfer Sidiki Johnson doesn’t become eligible until December. Another incoming freshman, Ian Baker, tore his ACL over the summer before deciding against enrolling at Providence.
The question now becomes whether or not Ledo will actually remain on campus for the year. If he can’t take the concept of sitting out of games until November, 2013, Europe and the D-League are both potential options for Ledo.
With more talented transfers getting eligible in 2013-2014, Cooley’s program is still trending in the right direction.
It just might take a year longer than we expected.
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)