Sep 5, 2012, 5:15 PM EDT
The NCAA’s verdict is in. According to Kevin McNamara, who is the Providence beat writer for the Providence Journal, star recruit Ricky Ledo won’t be suiting up for the Friars on gamedays this season.
He will, however, be able to suit up for practice while he spends the year trying to get himself academically eligible.
Ledo bounced around during his high school career, raising enough red flags that some bigger programs backed off of their interest in him.
This is bad news for Ed Cooley, whose program-changing recruiting class takes yet another hit. Kris Dunn, a top 20 recruit and arguably the nation’s best freshman point guard, is recovering from shoulder surgery and won’t be available until at least December. There’s a chance he will miss the season. Arizona transfer Sidiki Johnson doesn’t become eligible until December. Another incoming freshman, Ian Baker, tore his ACL over the summer before deciding against enrolling at Providence.
The question now becomes whether or not Ledo will actually remain on campus for the year. If he can’t take the concept of sitting out of games until November, 2013, Europe and the D-League are both potential options for Ledo.
With more talented transfers getting eligible in 2013-2014, Cooley’s program is still trending in the right direction.
It just might take a year longer than we expected.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)