Sep 5, 2012, 5:15 PM EDT
The NCAA’s verdict is in. According to Kevin McNamara, who is the Providence beat writer for the Providence Journal, star recruit Ricky Ledo won’t be suiting up for the Friars on gamedays this season.
He will, however, be able to suit up for practice while he spends the year trying to get himself academically eligible.
Ledo bounced around during his high school career, raising enough red flags that some bigger programs backed off of their interest in him.
This is bad news for Ed Cooley, whose program-changing recruiting class takes yet another hit. Kris Dunn, a top 20 recruit and arguably the nation’s best freshman point guard, is recovering from shoulder surgery and won’t be available until at least December. There’s a chance he will miss the season. Arizona transfer Sidiki Johnson doesn’t become eligible until December. Another incoming freshman, Ian Baker, tore his ACL over the summer before deciding against enrolling at Providence.
The question now becomes whether or not Ledo will actually remain on campus for the year. If he can’t take the concept of sitting out of games until November, 2013, Europe and the D-League are both potential options for Ledo.
With more talented transfers getting eligible in 2013-2014, Cooley’s program is still trending in the right direction.
It just might take a year longer than we expected.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Syracuse legend to undergo surgery on a brain tumor this week (2)
- Wake Forest dismissed senior point guard for rules violation (1)
- Is Louisville’s non-conference schedule weak by design? (1)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)