Sep 5, 2012, 5:15 PM EDT
The NCAA’s verdict is in. According to Kevin McNamara, who is the Providence beat writer for the Providence Journal, star recruit Ricky Ledo won’t be suiting up for the Friars on gamedays this season.
He will, however, be able to suit up for practice while he spends the year trying to get himself academically eligible.
Ledo bounced around during his high school career, raising enough red flags that some bigger programs backed off of their interest in him.
This is bad news for Ed Cooley, whose program-changing recruiting class takes yet another hit. Kris Dunn, a top 20 recruit and arguably the nation’s best freshman point guard, is recovering from shoulder surgery and won’t be available until at least December. There’s a chance he will miss the season. Arizona transfer Sidiki Johnson doesn’t become eligible until December. Another incoming freshman, Ian Baker, tore his ACL over the summer before deciding against enrolling at Providence.
The question now becomes whether or not Ledo will actually remain on campus for the year. If he can’t take the concept of sitting out of games until November, 2013, Europe and the D-League are both potential options for Ledo.
With more talented transfers getting eligible in 2013-2014, Cooley’s program is still trending in the right direction.
It just might take a year longer than we expected.
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft (3)