Sep 6, 2012, 2:11 PM EDT
Junior college transfer Daryl Traynham, who began his college career at Massachusetts, was expected to be the answer at point guard for Morgan State this season.
Unfortunately for Morgan State head coach Todd Bozeman, Traynham won’t be playing for the Bears this season as he failed to get his associate’s degree as reported by Gary Parrish of CBSSports.com.
Traynham played at Palm Beach State last season, where he averaged 10.9 points and 5.7 assists per game in 27 contests.
With Larry Bastfield having graduated Traynham was to be the guy to lead a team that won just nine games last season, but instead he’ll have to help them out in practice.
Morgan State won four of their final five regular season games, a solid finish to a rough season that began with them losing seven straight and got even worse in early January.
In addition to Bastfield the Bears have to account for the losses of Ameer Ali and Kevin Thompson, with Thompson being their second-leading scorer and leading rebounder in 2011-12.
With Dewayne Jackson (12.1 ppg), Ian Chiles (8.8 ppg, 1.6 bpg) and Justin Black (8.6 ppg) returning there was a chance with Traynham that Morgan State could make a move up the MEAC standings.
While that’s still possible with Traynham out to do so without a surefire solution at the point makes things more difficult.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Led by senior forward Alan Williams, UCSB capable of earning first NCAA tournament bid since 2011 0
- Behind Thompson and Comer, Dunk City looks to take flight once again this March 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)
- NCAA approves waiver to allow player with terminal cancer to play (1)