Sep 6, 2012, 2:11 PM EDT
Junior college transfer Daryl Traynham, who began his college career at Massachusetts, was expected to be the answer at point guard for Morgan State this season.
Unfortunately for Morgan State head coach Todd Bozeman, Traynham won’t be playing for the Bears this season as he failed to get his associate’s degree as reported by Gary Parrish of CBSSports.com.
Traynham played at Palm Beach State last season, where he averaged 10.9 points and 5.7 assists per game in 27 contests.
With Larry Bastfield having graduated Traynham was to be the guy to lead a team that won just nine games last season, but instead he’ll have to help them out in practice.
Morgan State won four of their final five regular season games, a solid finish to a rough season that began with them losing seven straight and got even worse in early January.
In addition to Bastfield the Bears have to account for the losses of Ameer Ali and Kevin Thompson, with Thompson being their second-leading scorer and leading rebounder in 2011-12.
With Dewayne Jackson (12.1 ppg), Ian Chiles (8.8 ppg, 1.6 bpg) and Justin Black (8.6 ppg) returning there was a chance with Traynham that Morgan State could make a move up the MEAC standings.
While that’s still possible with Traynham out to do so without a surefire solution at the point makes things more difficult.
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 4
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (6)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)