Sep 6, 2012, 2:11 PM EST
Junior college transfer Daryl Traynham, who began his college career at Massachusetts, was expected to be the answer at point guard for Morgan State this season.
Unfortunately for Morgan State head coach Todd Bozeman, Traynham won’t be playing for the Bears this season as he failed to get his associate’s degree as reported by Gary Parrish of CBSSports.com.
Traynham played at Palm Beach State last season, where he averaged 10.9 points and 5.7 assists per game in 27 contests.
With Larry Bastfield having graduated Traynham was to be the guy to lead a team that won just nine games last season, but instead he’ll have to help them out in practice.
Morgan State won four of their final five regular season games, a solid finish to a rough season that began with them losing seven straight and got even worse in early January.
In addition to Bastfield the Bears have to account for the losses of Ameer Ali and Kevin Thompson, with Thompson being their second-leading scorer and leading rebounder in 2011-12.
With Dewayne Jackson (12.1 ppg), Ian Chiles (8.8 ppg, 1.6 bpg) and Justin Black (8.6 ppg) returning there was a chance with Traynham that Morgan State could make a move up the MEAC standings.
While that’s still possible with Traynham out to do so without a surefire solution at the point makes things more difficult.
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 0
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)