Sep 6, 2012, 2:11 PM EST
Junior college transfer Daryl Traynham, who began his college career at Massachusetts, was expected to be the answer at point guard for Morgan State this season.
Unfortunately for Morgan State head coach Todd Bozeman, Traynham won’t be playing for the Bears this season as he failed to get his associate’s degree as reported by Gary Parrish of CBSSports.com.
Traynham played at Palm Beach State last season, where he averaged 10.9 points and 5.7 assists per game in 27 contests.
With Larry Bastfield having graduated Traynham was to be the guy to lead a team that won just nine games last season, but instead he’ll have to help them out in practice.
Morgan State won four of their final five regular season games, a solid finish to a rough season that began with them losing seven straight and got even worse in early January.
In addition to Bastfield the Bears have to account for the losses of Ameer Ali and Kevin Thompson, with Thompson being their second-leading scorer and leading rebounder in 2011-12.
With Dewayne Jackson (12.1 ppg), Ian Chiles (8.8 ppg, 1.6 bpg) and Justin Black (8.6 ppg) returning there was a chance with Traynham that Morgan State could make a move up the MEAC standings.
While that’s still possible with Traynham out to do so without a surefire solution at the point makes things more difficult.
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Report: Gonzaga’s Josh Perkins broke his jaw (4)