Sep 6, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
To say the least these aren’t good times for the Texas Tech basketball program, as Billy Gillispie is the subject of some serious allegations when it comes to the way in which he ran his team last season.
Already having been warned of his behavior during the season, Gillispie was supposed to meet with athletic director Kirby Hocutt on Friday morning.
That didn’t happen due to Gillispie being hospitalized for what he thought was either a heart attack or a stroke.
But with many feeling that Texas Tech needs to make a change, Hocutt met the media on Wednesday afternoon.
After praising the players for their work, which includes a team GPA of 3.3 for the fall semester, Hocutt voiced his concern with the recent news.
“I am very concerned about the information that has come forward in the past couple of weeks,” said Hocutt.
Hocutt then noted that there are two aspects that the school is looking into: possible NCAA rules violations (secondary) and personnel questions.
“Related to the NCAA rules component we are aware of alleged secondary rules violations, and in accordance with Texas Tech policy we are looking at and investigating those secondary allegations.
“If these allegations are found to be true, then we will submit those to both the Big 12 Conference as well as the NCAA.”
The personnel aspect of the investigation was something Hocutt was to discuss with Gillispie on Friday.
With 15 players and more than 30 staffers having left the program since Gillispie arrived in Lubbock there are definitely things they need to talk about.
While it can be argued that Gillispie should be afforded the opportunity to defend himself, given the gravity of the accusations and the court of public opinion it’s near impossible for Texas Tech to move forward with him leading the program.
The question now likely isn’t “if” Gillispie should be relieved of his duties but rather “when” it will happen.
Photo credit: Texas Tech University Department of Athletics
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)