Sep 7, 2012, 12:55 PM EST
The Big 12 has finalized a television rights agreement with ESPN and Fox Sports on a 13-year deal that is reportedly worth close to $2.6 billion annually and extends through the end of the 2024-25 season.
“The stability of the Big 12 Conference is cemented,” commissioner Bob Bowlsby said in a statement. “We are positioned with one of the best media rights arrangements in collegiate sports, providing the Conference and its members unprecedented revenue growth, and sports programming over two networks.”
The agreement is more like an extension, building on a deal that would have run through the 2015-16 season and extending it for nearly another decade.
On the basketball side of the agreement, ESPN will retain the primary rights to the Big 12, including the Big 12 tournament.
“The Big 12 will generate per member television revenue at the highest level of college athletics, while increasing exposure for our programs, and continuing to provide for comprehensive institutional rights,” Oklahoma State president and Big 12 Conference board of directors chairman Burns Hargis said.
The meat of the deal, though, is football, and the Big 12 now has 25 guaranteed national games per season, spread across ABC, ESPN, FOX, and FX.
“The Conference is excited to build upon its long-standing relationships with both ESPN and FOX,” Hargis added. “I would also like to acknowledge the Board’s executive committee for its fine work during this process.”
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 6
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 13
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)