Sep 7, 2012, 12:55 PM EDT
The Big 12 has finalized a television rights agreement with ESPN and Fox Sports on a 13-year deal that is reportedly worth close to $2.6 billion annually and extends through the end of the 2024-25 season.
“The stability of the Big 12 Conference is cemented,” commissioner Bob Bowlsby said in a statement. “We are positioned with one of the best media rights arrangements in collegiate sports, providing the Conference and its members unprecedented revenue growth, and sports programming over two networks.”
The agreement is more like an extension, building on a deal that would have run through the 2015-16 season and extending it for nearly another decade.
On the basketball side of the agreement, ESPN will retain the primary rights to the Big 12, including the Big 12 tournament.
“The Big 12 will generate per member television revenue at the highest level of college athletics, while increasing exposure for our programs, and continuing to provide for comprehensive institutional rights,” Oklahoma State president and Big 12 Conference board of directors chairman Burns Hargis said.
The meat of the deal, though, is football, and the Big 12 now has 25 guaranteed national games per season, spread across ABC, ESPN, FOX, and FX.
“The Conference is excited to build upon its long-standing relationships with both ESPN and FOX,” Hargis added. “I would also like to acknowledge the Board’s executive committee for its fine work during this process.”
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)