Sep 7, 2012, 2:13 PM EST
Iowa State guard Bubu Palo has been charged with second-degree sexual abuse and suspended indefinitely from the Cyclone basketball team after turning himself in to police Friday, the Des Moines Register is reporting.
“I am extremely disappointed to learn of this allegation,” Iowa State head coach Fred Hoiberg said in a statement, “and he is suspended indefinitely for violating our department’s discipline policy.”
Palo, a 21-year-old native of Ames, Iowa, was released on a $25,000 bond this morning.
The alleged incident took place on May 18, according to the report from the Register, when Palo and another man, 21-year-old Spencer Cruise, offered to drive the female victim home, but instead took her to a home owned by Cruise’s family.
The report cites police records in saying that the two men “committed a sex act by force and against the victim’s will.”
Tests showed both Cruise and Palo’s DNA present on the evidence.
Palo originally joined the team as a walk-on, but earned a scholarship in the second semester of the 2011-12 season. He averaged 4.0 points and 1.5 assists per game for the Cyclones last season.
His best performance of the season came in a 10-point home win over Iowa in early December when he scored 14 points and added six assists.
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy 0
- Senior starters once again lead the way for No. 15 Cincinnati 0
- Doug McDermott’s career still missing the most important part: His One Shining Moment 2
- Bryce Cotton, Providence’s marathon man, looking to lead the Friars on a run to the NCAA tournament 2
- Bubble Banter: Colorado, Dayton the day’s biggest winners 2
- After win at No. 18 SMU, No. 11 Louisville is once again peaking in March 0
- Wake Forest beats No. 4 Duke as Blue Devils struggle to score again 1
- Undefeated regular season says all we need to know about No. 2 Wichita State (9)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Finally at full strength, Michigan State sleepwalks through loss to Illinois (6)
- Kentucky hits rock bottom, loses at South Carolina (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)