Sep 7, 2012, 2:13 PM EDT
Iowa State guard Bubu Palo has been charged with second-degree sexual abuse and suspended indefinitely from the Cyclone basketball team after turning himself in to police Friday, the Des Moines Register is reporting.
“I am extremely disappointed to learn of this allegation,” Iowa State head coach Fred Hoiberg said in a statement, “and he is suspended indefinitely for violating our department’s discipline policy.”
Palo, a 21-year-old native of Ames, Iowa, was released on a $25,000 bond this morning.
The alleged incident took place on May 18, according to the report from the Register, when Palo and another man, 21-year-old Spencer Cruise, offered to drive the female victim home, but instead took her to a home owned by Cruise’s family.
The report cites police records in saying that the two men “committed a sex act by force and against the victim’s will.”
Tests showed both Cruise and Palo’s DNA present on the evidence.
Palo originally joined the team as a walk-on, but earned a scholarship in the second semester of the 2011-12 season. He averaged 4.0 points and 1.5 assists per game for the Cyclones last season.
His best performance of the season came in a 10-point home win over Iowa in early December when he scored 14 points and added six assists.
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 1
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 2
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- John Calipari: ‘We’re chasing perfection’ (14)
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (4)
- The Big Ten is setting records for their revenue (3)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead