Sep 7, 2012, 2:13 PM EST
Iowa State guard Bubu Palo has been charged with second-degree sexual abuse and suspended indefinitely from the Cyclone basketball team after turning himself in to police Friday, the Des Moines Register is reporting.
“I am extremely disappointed to learn of this allegation,” Iowa State head coach Fred Hoiberg said in a statement, “and he is suspended indefinitely for violating our department’s discipline policy.”
Palo, a 21-year-old native of Ames, Iowa, was released on a $25,000 bond this morning.
The alleged incident took place on May 18, according to the report from the Register, when Palo and another man, 21-year-old Spencer Cruise, offered to drive the female victim home, but instead took her to a home owned by Cruise’s family.
The report cites police records in saying that the two men “committed a sex act by force and against the victim’s will.”
Tests showed both Cruise and Palo’s DNA present on the evidence.
Palo originally joined the team as a walk-on, but earned a scholarship in the second semester of the 2011-12 season. He averaged 4.0 points and 1.5 assists per game for the Cyclones last season.
His best performance of the season came in a 10-point home win over Iowa in early December when he scored 14 points and added six assists.
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 1
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)