Sep 9, 2012, 6:48 PM EDT
It was a busy week for Herb Sendek’s Arizona State program, as two new assistant coaches with NBA experience joined the program in place of the departed Scott Pera and Lamont Smith.
On Sunday another step towards the solidifying of the Sun Devil program was taken, as 6-3 guard Chance Murray announced his decision to attend the Pac-12 school on Sunday.
Murray is a Los Angeles native and attends Price HS, which finished last season with a 26-9 record and reached the title game of the CIF Division IV state tournament.
Also on that team was forward Skylar Spencer, who is a freshman at San Diego State.
With two assistant coaches leaving on the heels of consecutive losing seasons, few would blame a recruit for being a bit concerned when looking at Arizona State.
But that apparently wasn’t an issue for Murray, who sees himself playing multiple positions on the perimeter once he arrives in Tempe.
“I see myself fitting in well [at Arizona State],” Murray said. “Playing the two wing positions and some of the point. [I'm] just going in to do whatever it takes to help my team win.”
Murray’s commitment moves the count up to two for Arizona State, which also holds a verbal commitment from 6-4 guard Egor Koulechov.
The Sun Devils will rely quite a bit on players new to the program this season, as two of their top three scorers from last season (Trent Lockett and Kyle Cain) have left the program.
Point guard Jahii Carson wasn’t cleared to play last season due to academics so he’ll be making his debut this season, as will Hawai’i transfer Bo Barnes and Liberty transfer Evan Gordon.
Forwards Carrick Felix and Jonathan Gilling, 7-footers Jordan Bachynski and Ruslan Pateev and guard Chris Colvin were contributors last season, and the hope is that the newcomers will provide a much-needed boost on the perimeter.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)