Sep 9, 2012, 4:38 PM EDT
In what could be an interesting season for the California Golden Bears, head coach Mike Montgomery and his staff have now picked up two important wins on the recruiting trail.
Just one week after keeping five-star Bay Area prospect Jabari Bird home, Cal received a verbal commitment from Santa Monica, CA guard Jordan Mathews on Sunday according to Scout.com (subscription required).
Mathews is a player whose stock rose in the eyes of many recruiting analysts during the summer, as he was able to knock down shots from the perimeter as well as from mid-range.
Mathews helped lead Santa Monica High School to an 18-8 record as a junior, and he averaged 15.6 points per game in five games with California Supreme at the EYBL Finals at the Nike Peach Jam in July.
In the four EYBL events leading up to the Peach Jam Mathews averaged 14.5 points and 3.8 rebounds per game, shooting 46.3% from the field and 44.4% from beyond the arc.
The son of UCLA assistant coach Phil Mathews, Jordan also held offers from schools such as Colorado, Gonzaga, Kansas State, San Diego State, USC, VCU, Wake Forest and Wyoming according to Rivals.com.
Both Bird and Mathews will have the opportunity to earn playing time immediately next season, even with both Justin Cobbs (redshirt junior this season) and Allen Crabbe (junior) being able to return.
Brandon Smith is a senior this season and it remains to be seen what Missouri transfer Ricky Kreklow can provide after averaging 2.1 points per game in his one season in Columbia.
The Golden Bears needed a talent boost on the perimeter in the 2013 class, and landing both Bird and Mathews early is definitely a step in the right direction.
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 4
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)