Sep 9, 2012, 9:37 AM EDT
UCLA is still awaiting word from the NCAA on the eligibility of some of its top 2012 recruits, but the Bruins got good news in the meantime when coach Ben Howland secured a commitment from 2013 top-100 prospect Allerik Freeman Saturday while he was on an official visit to Westwood.
Freeman tweeted the news Saturday evening.
“I’m officially a UCLA Bruin,” he wrote. “Thank you too all the people who supported me and especially my family! All love. Long way to go though.”
Freeman becomes the second player committed to the UCLA program from the Class of 2013, joining combo guard Zach LaVine, who committed in June. He chose the Bruins over schools that include Duke, Ohio State, Kansas, and Villanova.
Though a native of North Carolina, Freeman transferred to Findlay Prep (Nev.) for his senior season. His coach at Findlay, Andy Johnson, tweeted his support Saturday.
“Congrats to @Al_freeman on his commitment to UCLA,” he wrote. “Al will play a big role this season for Findlay Prep!”
This now makes two solid classes in a row for Howland and the Bruins, following a 2012 class that featured Shabazz Muhammad, Kyle Anderson, Tony Parker, and Jordan Adams.
Muhammad and Anderson are still under review by the NCAA regarding the details of their respective recruitments. News of the Anderson investigation came last week, while Muhammad from barred from the team’s August trip to China while the NCAA investigated.
During that trip to China, the Bruins finished 3-0 and look to carry that momentum into a much-improved Pac-12 Conference in 2012-13.
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)