Sep 9, 2012, 9:37 AM EST
UCLA is still awaiting word from the NCAA on the eligibility of some of its top 2012 recruits, but the Bruins got good news in the meantime when coach Ben Howland secured a commitment from 2013 top-100 prospect Allerik Freeman Saturday while he was on an official visit to Westwood.
Freeman tweeted the news Saturday evening.
“I’m officially a UCLA Bruin,” he wrote. “Thank you too all the people who supported me and especially my family! All love. Long way to go though.”
Freeman becomes the second player committed to the UCLA program from the Class of 2013, joining combo guard Zach LaVine, who committed in June. He chose the Bruins over schools that include Duke, Ohio State, Kansas, and Villanova.
Though a native of North Carolina, Freeman transferred to Findlay Prep (Nev.) for his senior season. His coach at Findlay, Andy Johnson, tweeted his support Saturday.
“Congrats to @Al_freeman on his commitment to UCLA,” he wrote. “Al will play a big role this season for Findlay Prep!”
This now makes two solid classes in a row for Howland and the Bruins, following a 2012 class that featured Shabazz Muhammad, Kyle Anderson, Tony Parker, and Jordan Adams.
Muhammad and Anderson are still under review by the NCAA regarding the details of their respective recruitments. News of the Anderson investigation came last week, while Muhammad from barred from the team’s August trip to China while the NCAA investigated.
During that trip to China, the Bruins finished 3-0 and look to carry that momentum into a much-improved Pac-12 Conference in 2012-13.
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 11
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Syracuse upsets No. 8 Notre Dame in an inspired ACC road effort 0
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)