Sep 9, 2012, 1:14 PM EDT
The Horizon League made a sizeable technological leap forward this week, approving the installation of high-definition equipment to broadcast all Horizon League Network telecasts.
The conference’s athletic directors unanimously approved the move. In addition, the league is looking to implement instant replay capabilities for men’s and women’s basketball.
“This is a major step forward as we seek to remain on the cutting edge of web-based telecasts with the Horizon League Network,” commissioner Jon LeCrone said in a release. “The new instant replay system will benefit our officials, teams, coaches and fans. We want to ensure that we are doing all that is technologically possible regarding important game situations.“
The league is partnering with WebStar Productions, which will help install new equipment at member schools and implement online upgrades.
“We are gratified that the athletic directors recognize the value of the Horizon League Network and are willing to make this investment,” WebStream Productions founder and CEO John Servizzi said. “We are proud of our role in making the Horizon League a recognized leader in intercollegiate athletics video streaming.”
The move expands the Horizon League’s investment in online media through HorizonLeague.com, where the conference already streams events spread across 19 sports.
Bigger than the high definition development, though, may be instant replay.
Though traditionalists may continue to push back, instant replay implementation has been a positive force, especially in buzzer-beater situations.
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 1
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 2
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Nate Robinson, other Washington greats to play in alumni game June 23 (3)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1