Sep 9, 2012, 11:08 PM EDT
With the graduation of guards Jewuan Long and Donte Poole, and forward Ivan Aska, the Murray State Racers were going to need sophomore guard Zay Jackson to raise his production from a season ago.
The impact that Jackson may have on the reigning OVC champions is now in doubt thanks to an incident in a Walmart parking lot on Sunday.
According to WPSD-TV in Paducah, Kentucky, Jackson was arrested on two counts of first-degree assault on Sunday afternoon.
According to Murray Police, officers responded to an altercation in the Wal-Mart parking lot around 4p.m. Officers said Jackson assaulted two people with his vehicle. Both victims suffered apparent minor injuries.
To say the least this is bad news for a team coming off of a 31-2 campaign, and with point guard Isaiah Canaan and forward Ed Daniel returning the Racers are capable of repeating in the OVC.
But they need a third option to make up for the departures of Long, Poole and Aska, who combined to average 33.2 points per game in 2011-12.
Jackson averaged just 4.9 points and 2.3 assists per game last season, and his 18.4 minutes per game ranked second among the Racers’ reserves.
Murray State has six freshmen and six seniors on this season’s roster, so obviously Jackson would be an important figure both this season and in the future.
But that future likely became a bit more uncertain with this news.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)