Sep 9, 2012, 11:08 PM EST
With the graduation of guards Jewuan Long and Donte Poole, and forward Ivan Aska, the Murray State Racers were going to need sophomore guard Zay Jackson to raise his production from a season ago.
The impact that Jackson may have on the reigning OVC champions is now in doubt thanks to an incident in a Walmart parking lot on Sunday.
According to WPSD-TV in Paducah, Kentucky, Jackson was arrested on two counts of first-degree assault on Sunday afternoon.
According to Murray Police, officers responded to an altercation in the Wal-Mart parking lot around 4p.m. Officers said Jackson assaulted two people with his vehicle. Both victims suffered apparent minor injuries.
To say the least this is bad news for a team coming off of a 31-2 campaign, and with point guard Isaiah Canaan and forward Ed Daniel returning the Racers are capable of repeating in the OVC.
But they need a third option to make up for the departures of Long, Poole and Aska, who combined to average 33.2 points per game in 2011-12.
Jackson averaged just 4.9 points and 2.3 assists per game last season, and his 18.4 minutes per game ranked second among the Racers’ reserves.
Murray State has six freshmen and six seniors on this season’s roster, so obviously Jackson would be an important figure both this season and in the future.
But that future likely became a bit more uncertain with this news.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 0
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)