Sep 9, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
There were mixed reactions earlier this summer when rapper Drake shared a photo of his customized Kentucky championship ring via Instagram.
Some called coach John Calipari a marketing genius, willing to give Drake a ring while knowing he would flaunt it. Make Kentucky “cool” to recruits, as if it weren’t already.
Others panned the move, questioning why Drake, a self-professed “natural fan,” should get a championship ring when there are tens of thousands on gameday at Rupp Arena with more Kentucky spirit than he.
Regardless, he’s back in news for the Kentucky program, this time as a guest coach during the Kentucky NBA Alumni Game, John Calipari tweeted this week.
The game is to take place Sept. 15.
Reportedly on the list of participants are some of Calipari’s former players, including John Wall and DeMarcus Cousins, as well as long-time NBA forward Tayshaun Prince and Boston Celtics guard Rajon Rondo.
The game will also feature members of Kentucky’s 1996 national championship team, including Antoine Walker, Derek Anderson, Walter McCarty, and Wayne Turner.
For the priciest seats, you’ll have to fork over $100, but you can get in the door for $20 and can sit on the lower level for $40.
Proceeds from the game will be donated to charity.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)