Sep 9, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
There were mixed reactions earlier this summer when rapper Drake shared a photo of his customized Kentucky championship ring via Instagram.
Some called coach John Calipari a marketing genius, willing to give Drake a ring while knowing he would flaunt it. Make Kentucky “cool” to recruits, as if it weren’t already.
Others panned the move, questioning why Drake, a self-professed “natural fan,” should get a championship ring when there are tens of thousands on gameday at Rupp Arena with more Kentucky spirit than he.
Regardless, he’s back in news for the Kentucky program, this time as a guest coach during the Kentucky NBA Alumni Game, John Calipari tweeted this week.
The game is to take place Sept. 15.
Reportedly on the list of participants are some of Calipari’s former players, including John Wall and DeMarcus Cousins, as well as long-time NBA forward Tayshaun Prince and Boston Celtics guard Rajon Rondo.
The game will also feature members of Kentucky’s 1996 national championship team, including Antoine Walker, Derek Anderson, Walter McCarty, and Wayne Turner.
For the priciest seats, you’ll have to fork over $100, but you can get in the door for $20 and can sit on the lower level for $40.
Proceeds from the game will be donated to charity.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)