Sep 10, 2012, 1:31 PM EDT
Sunday marked the beginning of a “recruiting period”.
For those that aren’t all that well-versed in NCAA legalese, what that means is, essentially, coaches are allowed to visit with recruits as well as evaluate them in open workouts. It’s part of the reason that we saw so many high-profile commitments happen over the weekend.
It’s also part of the reason that your twitter and your reader have become flooded with recruiting updates. What coaches are where? Which recruits enjoyed their visits with which programs? Who has eliminated what schools from their list?
Most of those updates are pretty typical, and nothing more than simply relaying information. And that is why Adam Zagoria’s update on Moses Kingsley caught me so off-guard. It starts off normal enough, with Kingsley’s high school coach — Rob Fulford — giving some updates on his schedule and timeline.
And while Kingsley had some visits this weekend, he didn’t workout for anyone. You’ll never guess why:
Fulford said Louisville assistant Wyking Jones “visited with [Kingsley]” this weekend, although Kingsley didn’t participate in workouts because he is recovering from malaria.
Kingsley was recently hospitalized for four days with the disease after contracting it in Africa.
“He went home to renew his visa in Nigeria and came back very sick,” the coach said.
I doubt I’ve ever written about a college basketball player missing time because he contracted malaria.
It is good to hear that he’s recovering, however. Malaria certainly doesn’t sound pleasant.
(Photo credit: Arkansas Wings)
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2010? 0
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)
- Austin Nichols looking to transfer from Memphis (2)
- Star Kansas freshman Carlton Bragg injured on trip to South Korea (1)