Sep 10, 2012, 1:31 PM EDT
Sunday marked the beginning of a “recruiting period”.
For those that aren’t all that well-versed in NCAA legalese, what that means is, essentially, coaches are allowed to visit with recruits as well as evaluate them in open workouts. It’s part of the reason that we saw so many high-profile commitments happen over the weekend.
It’s also part of the reason that your twitter and your reader have become flooded with recruiting updates. What coaches are where? Which recruits enjoyed their visits with which programs? Who has eliminated what schools from their list?
Most of those updates are pretty typical, and nothing more than simply relaying information. And that is why Adam Zagoria’s update on Moses Kingsley caught me so off-guard. It starts off normal enough, with Kingsley’s high school coach — Rob Fulford — giving some updates on his schedule and timeline.
And while Kingsley had some visits this weekend, he didn’t workout for anyone. You’ll never guess why:
Fulford said Louisville assistant Wyking Jones “visited with [Kingsley]” this weekend, although Kingsley didn’t participate in workouts because he is recovering from malaria.
Kingsley was recently hospitalized for four days with the disease after contracting it in Africa.
“He went home to renew his visa in Nigeria and came back very sick,” the coach said.
I doubt I’ve ever written about a college basketball player missing time because he contracted malaria.
It is good to hear that he’s recovering, however. Malaria certainly doesn’t sound pleasant.
(Photo credit: Arkansas Wings)
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 0
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)