Sep 10, 2012, 1:31 PM EDT
Sunday marked the beginning of a “recruiting period”.
For those that aren’t all that well-versed in NCAA legalese, what that means is, essentially, coaches are allowed to visit with recruits as well as evaluate them in open workouts. It’s part of the reason that we saw so many high-profile commitments happen over the weekend.
It’s also part of the reason that your twitter and your reader have become flooded with recruiting updates. What coaches are where? Which recruits enjoyed their visits with which programs? Who has eliminated what schools from their list?
Most of those updates are pretty typical, and nothing more than simply relaying information. And that is why Adam Zagoria’s update on Moses Kingsley caught me so off-guard. It starts off normal enough, with Kingsley’s high school coach — Rob Fulford — giving some updates on his schedule and timeline.
And while Kingsley had some visits this weekend, he didn’t workout for anyone. You’ll never guess why:
Fulford said Louisville assistant Wyking Jones “visited with [Kingsley]” this weekend, although Kingsley didn’t participate in workouts because he is recovering from malaria.
Kingsley was recently hospitalized for four days with the disease after contracting it in Africa.
“He went home to renew his visa in Nigeria and came back very sick,” the coach said.
I doubt I’ve ever written about a college basketball player missing time because he contracted malaria.
It is good to hear that he’s recovering, however. Malaria certainly doesn’t sound pleasant.
(Photo credit: Arkansas Wings)
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 2
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)
- Ron Baker was the best college player for Team USA at Pan-Am Games (2)
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble (2)