Sep 10, 2012, 1:31 PM EST
Sunday marked the beginning of a “recruiting period”.
For those that aren’t all that well-versed in NCAA legalese, what that means is, essentially, coaches are allowed to visit with recruits as well as evaluate them in open workouts. It’s part of the reason that we saw so many high-profile commitments happen over the weekend.
It’s also part of the reason that your twitter and your reader have become flooded with recruiting updates. What coaches are where? Which recruits enjoyed their visits with which programs? Who has eliminated what schools from their list?
Most of those updates are pretty typical, and nothing more than simply relaying information. And that is why Adam Zagoria’s update on Moses Kingsley caught me so off-guard. It starts off normal enough, with Kingsley’s high school coach — Rob Fulford — giving some updates on his schedule and timeline.
And while Kingsley had some visits this weekend, he didn’t workout for anyone. You’ll never guess why:
Fulford said Louisville assistant Wyking Jones “visited with [Kingsley]” this weekend, although Kingsley didn’t participate in workouts because he is recovering from malaria.
Kingsley was recently hospitalized for four days with the disease after contracting it in Africa.
“He went home to renew his visa in Nigeria and came back very sick,” the coach said.
I doubt I’ve ever written about a college basketball player missing time because he contracted malaria.
It is good to hear that he’s recovering, however. Malaria certainly doesn’t sound pleasant.
(Photo credit: Arkansas Wings)
- P.J. Hairston’s UNC career comes to an end as the school will not apply for his reinstatement 3
- Weekend Preview: Saturday’s slate is thrilling from noon until midnight 2
- UCLA has a lot to learn if they are going to be a contender in the Pac-12 0
- Rasheed Sulaimon climbs out of the doghouse in No. 8 Duke’s 80-63 win 0
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Who will be the next undefeated team to lose? 2
- Kentucky is a flawed team, but does that mean they can’t contend? (12)
- WATCH: Southern Illinois coach Barry Hinson unloads in press conference (9)
- Leslie McDonald has been cleared, while reports say P.J. Hairston unlikely to play this season (7)
- Difference between Kentucky, ’12 title team: role players? (5)
- Late Night Snacks: UK loses, Arizona survives, and Naadir Tharpe awakens (4)