Sep 10, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
It’s been a tumultuous career for Nurideen Lindsey when it comes to finding a college to call home.
One of the most prolific scorers in Philadelphia high school history, Lindsey spent some time away from the game after losing two of his brothers before finding his way to Redlands (Okla.) Community College for a year. Lindsey then headed to St. John’s for the first semester of the 2011-12 season before deciding to transfer, first committing to Arkansas for a matter of days before selecting Rider to be closer to his mother. Lindsey also applied for a waiver to play immediately.
“Dealing with all the young man has gone through, having lost two of his brothers; I hope the NCAA takes that very serious,” Baggett said. “But I can’t control that decision. So I just have to focus on when I hear whether we’re going to have him or not and just try and go from there with it.”
In his nine games with the Red Storm, Lindsey averaged 12.4 points per game. If he’s denied the waiver, Lindsey will be eligible at the end of the fall semester and have a year-and-a-half of eligibility remaining.
This looks like the kind of case where the waiver gets granted. Lindsey is transferring closer to home — Rider is less than 45 minutes from the Philadelphia city limits — to be closer to family. That being said, you never know what the NCAA is going to do. Earlier this year, Trey Zigler was granted a waiver to play immediately at Pitt after his father, Ernie, was fired as coach at Central Michigan. A few months later, UConn transfer Michael Bradley was denied a waiver to play immediately at Western Kentucky after moving closer to his home in Chattanooga, Tenn. to be near his ailing grandmother. He’s since transferred to Vincennes Junior College.
I would bet Lindsey gets the waiver, but no signs have ever been clear coming from the NCAA.
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 10
- Coach K on returning to Team USA: ‘There’s a chance’ 0
- New Mexico, former coach Steve Alford settle buyout dispute 1
- Ben McLemore denies former AAU coach’s allegations 0
- 2014 small forward Jordan Barnett generating buzz in the EYBL 1
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles