Sep 10, 2012, 11:39 PM EST
Yes, you read that headline right.
A report in the Charlotte News & Observer states that the mother of the former North Carolina star may have been involved when now-former Tar Heel fundraiser Matt Kupec was dipping into the university account to take personal trips.
Tami Hansbrough, who is stated to be “divorced” according to the report, is also on leave due to the investigation into the trips, which she may have also been going on. She was hired as a fundraiser in December 2008, according to the report.
Kupec and Hansbrough were said to have already been in a relationship by mid-2010, according to the report, though it also states that Kupec, who separated from his wife in 2009, committed “marital misconduct” according to North Carolina state law.
Chancellor Holden Thorp told the newspaper that Kupec submitted his resignation Sunday night.
“Last night I told Matt what I had been finding and I was going to have to do a thorough investigation of his travel, and he offered his resignation,” Thorp said, adding he accepted it. “It was difficult because Matt has been such a great person for the university and has raised billions of dollars for us,” Thorp added, “but I had to share with him what we had been finding and it didn’t look good and that it’s likely that this sort of personally driven travel was unacceptable, and we are going to need to do a pretty thorough investigation of it.”
This incident and investigation occurred while the athletics program was being looked into for an academic scandal, so this has to add to the massive headaches in the administrative offices.
As for the Hansbrough connection, if true, this is totally embarrassing for Tyler and the family, though it seems like there was no Bobby Petrino/Jessica Dorrell-like scandal going on here. Can’t imagine this is the end of it all. Though it does seem like business and pleasure did mix.
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role 1
- The Chase for 180: Doug McDermott’s tough night 0
- Michigan’s offensive struggles in 79-69 loss to Duke a major concern 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Player of the Year Power Rankings 0
- Shabazz Napier hits game-winner, runs out of the arena (VIDEO) 0
- Marshall Henderson’s on-court antics aren’t changing. Deal with it (5)
- No. 5 Oklahoma State’s win over Purdue exemplifies issues with new foul rules (3)
- Tim Floyd tees off on Andy Enfield: ‘We’re not going to take it in the shorts’ (3)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- No. 20 Creighton gets 27 from Doug McDermott, stifles Jahii Carson in blowout (2)