Sep 11, 2012, 12:30 AM EDT
The basis of this video got me to click on it.
Kentucky coach John Calipari shares his thoughts on recruiting and while it runs on CoachCal.com — Calipari’s personal website, which mean it’s not exactly unbiased — it’s interesting to hear a coach who recruits unlike anyone else (he practically coined the phrase “one-and-done”) tell about his philosophies on the non-stop process that is high-major recruiting.
“One, you have a good idea who they are. What they are,” Calipari said in the video. “…The second way is, we don’t beg anybody. It’s not for everybody.”
Calipari also drops the trump card on everyone saying: “If I offer 25 scholarships, 25 guys are saying ‘yea.'”
It’s not exactly rocket science. He’s the coach that gets players to the NBA. From the one-year wonders of John Wall and Derrick Rose, to the relative unknowns like Patrick Patterson and Josh Harrellson. And he’s at one of the most storied programs in college basketball and just won the national title. But it’s interesting to hear some incite into how a guy who essentially has to mold a new team yearly, does it.
I’ll share my thoughts on Calipari with anyone who will listen. Kentucky and Calipari were made for each other. While he had to build programs with risky players in the past (Shawne Williams, Derrick Rose, Marcus Camby, etc.) at places like UMass and Memphis, he’s got the tradition and the solid base to recruit easier at Kentucky. It’s just easier for him now.
Whatever you think about him, he’s got a method to all his madness. And it’s intriguing to hear about.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2010? 0
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)
- Austin Nichols looking to transfer from Memphis (2)
- Star Kansas freshman Carlton Bragg injured on trip to South Korea (1)