Sep 11, 2012, 12:30 AM EDT
The basis of this video got me to click on it.
Kentucky coach John Calipari shares his thoughts on recruiting and while it runs on CoachCal.com — Calipari’s personal website, which mean it’s not exactly unbiased — it’s interesting to hear a coach who recruits unlike anyone else (he practically coined the phrase “one-and-done”) tell about his philosophies on the non-stop process that is high-major recruiting.
“One, you have a good idea who they are. What they are,” Calipari said in the video. “…The second way is, we don’t beg anybody. It’s not for everybody.”
Calipari also drops the trump card on everyone saying: “If I offer 25 scholarships, 25 guys are saying ‘yea.'”
It’s not exactly rocket science. He’s the coach that gets players to the NBA. From the one-year wonders of John Wall and Derrick Rose, to the relative unknowns like Patrick Patterson and Josh Harrellson. And he’s at one of the most storied programs in college basketball and just won the national title. But it’s interesting to hear some incite into how a guy who essentially has to mold a new team yearly, does it.
I’ll share my thoughts on Calipari with anyone who will listen. Kentucky and Calipari were made for each other. While he had to build programs with risky players in the past (Shawne Williams, Derrick Rose, Marcus Camby, etc.) at places like UMass and Memphis, he’s got the tradition and the solid base to recruit easier at Kentucky. It’s just easier for him now.
Whatever you think about him, he’s got a method to all his madness. And it’s intriguing to hear about.
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 31
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 6
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (31)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (8)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (6)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)