Sep 11, 2012, 11:14 AM EST
Former Indiana guard Verdell Jones III has pleaded guilty to DUI in Illinois after being arrested by police after a traffic stop last week, the News-Gazette is reporting.
According to the report, Jones III was stopped by police after allegedly speeding and a breathalyzer test revealed his blood alcohol level was 0.14, nearly twice the legal limit of 0.08.
He was reportedly “completely cooperative” with police and admitted to drinking earlier in the night. He was sentenced to a year of court supervision for the misdemeanor.
The sentence allows him to wipe his record clean of the conviction if he has no more legal troubles during the one-year period.
Jones III, who played in 30 games for Indiana last season, averaged 7.5 points and 3.2 assists per game for the Hoosiers in 2011-12.
In March, he tore his ACL in a game against Penn State, ending his college career and keeping him out of the NCAA tournament. In his absence, Indiana advanced to the Sweet 16.
Earlier in the season, he was integral to the Hoosiers’ upset of eventual national champion Kentucky, as his drive in the final seconds created space for Christian Watford, to whom Jones III passed the ball for the game-winning three-pointer at the buzzer.
He recently signed a professional contract to play in Greece.
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 11
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (12)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)