Sep 11, 2012, 11:14 AM EDT
Former Indiana guard Verdell Jones III has pleaded guilty to DUI in Illinois after being arrested by police after a traffic stop last week, the News-Gazette is reporting.
According to the report, Jones III was stopped by police after allegedly speeding and a breathalyzer test revealed his blood alcohol level was 0.14, nearly twice the legal limit of 0.08.
He was reportedly “completely cooperative” with police and admitted to drinking earlier in the night. He was sentenced to a year of court supervision for the misdemeanor.
The sentence allows him to wipe his record clean of the conviction if he has no more legal troubles during the one-year period.
Jones III, who played in 30 games for Indiana last season, averaged 7.5 points and 3.2 assists per game for the Hoosiers in 2011-12.
In March, he tore his ACL in a game against Penn State, ending his college career and keeping him out of the NCAA tournament. In his absence, Indiana advanced to the Sweet 16.
Earlier in the season, he was integral to the Hoosiers’ upset of eventual national champion Kentucky, as his drive in the final seconds created space for Christian Watford, to whom Jones III passed the ball for the game-winning three-pointer at the buzzer.
He recently signed a professional contract to play in Greece.
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 1
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 3
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights