Sep 11, 2012, 11:14 AM EDT
Former Indiana guard Verdell Jones III has pleaded guilty to DUI in Illinois after being arrested by police after a traffic stop last week, the News-Gazette is reporting.
According to the report, Jones III was stopped by police after allegedly speeding and a breathalyzer test revealed his blood alcohol level was 0.14, nearly twice the legal limit of 0.08.
He was reportedly “completely cooperative” with police and admitted to drinking earlier in the night. He was sentenced to a year of court supervision for the misdemeanor.
The sentence allows him to wipe his record clean of the conviction if he has no more legal troubles during the one-year period.
Jones III, who played in 30 games for Indiana last season, averaged 7.5 points and 3.2 assists per game for the Hoosiers in 2011-12.
In March, he tore his ACL in a game against Penn State, ending his college career and keeping him out of the NCAA tournament. In his absence, Indiana advanced to the Sweet 16.
Earlier in the season, he was integral to the Hoosiers’ upset of eventual national champion Kentucky, as his drive in the final seconds created space for Christian Watford, to whom Jones III passed the ball for the game-winning three-pointer at the buzzer.
He recently signed a professional contract to play in Greece.
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 3
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 1
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft 8
- Bobby Portis announces that he is turning pro 0
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)