Sep 11, 2012, 11:14 AM EDT
Former Indiana guard Verdell Jones III has pleaded guilty to DUI in Illinois after being arrested by police after a traffic stop last week, the News-Gazette is reporting.
According to the report, Jones III was stopped by police after allegedly speeding and a breathalyzer test revealed his blood alcohol level was 0.14, nearly twice the legal limit of 0.08.
He was reportedly “completely cooperative” with police and admitted to drinking earlier in the night. He was sentenced to a year of court supervision for the misdemeanor.
The sentence allows him to wipe his record clean of the conviction if he has no more legal troubles during the one-year period.
Jones III, who played in 30 games for Indiana last season, averaged 7.5 points and 3.2 assists per game for the Hoosiers in 2011-12.
In March, he tore his ACL in a game against Penn State, ending his college career and keeping him out of the NCAA tournament. In his absence, Indiana advanced to the Sweet 16.
Earlier in the season, he was integral to the Hoosiers’ upset of eventual national champion Kentucky, as his drive in the final seconds created space for Christian Watford, to whom Jones III passed the ball for the game-winning three-pointer at the buzzer.
He recently signed a professional contract to play in Greece.
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 2
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 0
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility 3
- In-state power forward verbally commits to UConn 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight 6
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility (3)
- Villanova lands commitment from five-star point guard Jalen Brunson (2)