Sep 11, 2012, 7:47 PM EST
Julius Randle is a consensus top five recruit in the Class of 2013.
Rivals ranks him as the best player in the class.
Regardless of whether or not Randle actually goes on to be the best player to come out of the Class of 2013, when you have that kind of potential you can expect to have just as much attention on the recruiting trail.
So far, both John Calipari and Roy Williams have gone to visit the 6-foot-9 lefty. Coach Cal brought his most impressive piece of hardware: his 2012 national championship ring. And while ol’ Roy doesn’t have one of those, he did one-up Cal in the bling department: he brought a case with more than 30 rings, which included conference titles, trips to the Final Four and a pair of his own national championship rings.
But that’s not what impressed Randle the most. From USA Today:
Once he’d achieved the wide-eyed reaction he hoped for, Williams added the exclamation point, reaching into his pocket and pulling out Michael Jordan’s 1992 NBA championship ring he won with the Chicago Bulls.
“He said Jordan gave it to him to show his players what they could achieve with hard work and determination,” Randle said. “I was just shocked. I couldn’t believe I was holding Jordan’s ring.”
When asked if Jordan’s ring was better than Calipari’s, Randle frowned up, did a double-take and said, “Come on now. It’s Jordan. No comparison.”
I guess Coach K is going to have to bring Lance Thomas with him to one-up Roy Williams.
- Why Duke’s road win at Virginia was so shocking 3
- Briante Weber suffers season-ending knee injury in No. 14 VCU’s loss to Richmond 0
- No. 4 Duke ends No. 2 Virginia’s unbeaten season 1
- Foul line, offensive rebounding aid No. 13 Louisville’s comeback effort 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 4 Duke rebounds to beat No. 2 Virginia, and No. 8 Notre Dame falls 0
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 1
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)