Sep 11, 2012, 7:47 PM EST
Julius Randle is a consensus top five recruit in the Class of 2013.
Rivals ranks him as the best player in the class.
Regardless of whether or not Randle actually goes on to be the best player to come out of the Class of 2013, when you have that kind of potential you can expect to have just as much attention on the recruiting trail.
So far, both John Calipari and Roy Williams have gone to visit the 6-foot-9 lefty. Coach Cal brought his most impressive piece of hardware: his 2012 national championship ring. And while ol’ Roy doesn’t have one of those, he did one-up Cal in the bling department: he brought a case with more than 30 rings, which included conference titles, trips to the Final Four and a pair of his own national championship rings.
But that’s not what impressed Randle the most. From USA Today:
Once he’d achieved the wide-eyed reaction he hoped for, Williams added the exclamation point, reaching into his pocket and pulling out Michael Jordan’s 1992 NBA championship ring he won with the Chicago Bulls.
“He said Jordan gave it to him to show his players what they could achieve with hard work and determination,” Randle said. “I was just shocked. I couldn’t believe I was holding Jordan’s ring.”
When asked if Jordan’s ring was better than Calipari’s, Randle frowned up, did a double-take and said, “Come on now. It’s Jordan. No comparison.”
I guess Coach K is going to have to bring Lance Thomas with him to one-up Roy Williams.
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 0
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 1
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 13
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (5)
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? (3)