Sep 11, 2012, 7:47 PM EDT
Julius Randle is a consensus top five recruit in the Class of 2013.
Rivals ranks him as the best player in the class.
Regardless of whether or not Randle actually goes on to be the best player to come out of the Class of 2013, when you have that kind of potential you can expect to have just as much attention on the recruiting trail.
So far, both John Calipari and Roy Williams have gone to visit the 6-foot-9 lefty. Coach Cal brought his most impressive piece of hardware: his 2012 national championship ring. And while ol’ Roy doesn’t have one of those, he did one-up Cal in the bling department: he brought a case with more than 30 rings, which included conference titles, trips to the Final Four and a pair of his own national championship rings.
But that’s not what impressed Randle the most. From USA Today:
Once he’d achieved the wide-eyed reaction he hoped for, Williams added the exclamation point, reaching into his pocket and pulling out Michael Jordan’s 1992 NBA championship ring he won with the Chicago Bulls.
“He said Jordan gave it to him to show his players what they could achieve with hard work and determination,” Randle said. “I was just shocked. I couldn’t believe I was holding Jordan’s ring.”
When asked if Jordan’s ring was better than Calipari’s, Randle frowned up, did a double-take and said, “Come on now. It’s Jordan. No comparison.”
I guess Coach K is going to have to bring Lance Thomas with him to one-up Roy Williams.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)