Sep 11, 2012, 7:47 PM EDT
Julius Randle is a consensus top five recruit in the Class of 2013.
Rivals ranks him as the best player in the class.
Regardless of whether or not Randle actually goes on to be the best player to come out of the Class of 2013, when you have that kind of potential you can expect to have just as much attention on the recruiting trail.
So far, both John Calipari and Roy Williams have gone to visit the 6-foot-9 lefty. Coach Cal brought his most impressive piece of hardware: his 2012 national championship ring. And while ol’ Roy doesn’t have one of those, he did one-up Cal in the bling department: he brought a case with more than 30 rings, which included conference titles, trips to the Final Four and a pair of his own national championship rings.
But that’s not what impressed Randle the most. From USA Today:
Once he’d achieved the wide-eyed reaction he hoped for, Williams added the exclamation point, reaching into his pocket and pulling out Michael Jordan’s 1992 NBA championship ring he won with the Chicago Bulls.
“He said Jordan gave it to him to show his players what they could achieve with hard work and determination,” Randle said. “I was just shocked. I couldn’t believe I was holding Jordan’s ring.”
When asked if Jordan’s ring was better than Calipari’s, Randle frowned up, did a double-take and said, “Come on now. It’s Jordan. No comparison.”
I guess Coach K is going to have to bring Lance Thomas with him to one-up Roy Williams.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)