Sep 11, 2012, 5:05 PM EDT
According to a report, Maryland will likely be without the services of Sam Cassell Jr. for the upcoming season due to academics. From InsideMDSports:
It’s unclear if the academic roadblock relates to coursework from Notre Dame or from his previous schools in his native Baltimore – Towson Catholic and St. Frances Academy – but Cassell is unlikely to play for Maryland during the upcoming season and possibly beyond, multiple prep coaches with knowledge of the situation told InsideMDSports.
The report also says that Cassell could remain committed to Maryland and attend a Junior College, but that there is a possibility he could end up transferring to a school that accepts partial qualifiers. There, he would sit out this season while getting himself academically eligible for 2013-2014.
The loss of Cassell hurts, but it won’t be a death-knell for Maryland’s season, particularly if Pe’Shon Howard is able to come back from last season’s torn ACL at 100% and Dezmine Wells catches a break and gets a waiver from the NCAA to be eligible immediately. If not, Howard will share backcourt duties with freshman scorer Seth Allen and Albany transfer Logan Aronhalt with Nick Faust, a potential breakout star, joining them at the three.
With Alex Len, Jake Layman and Shaquille Cleare up front, Maryland still has some potential this season.
But, if we’re being honest here, the Terps are probably still a season away from peaking as a program. So while it’s always frustrating to lose a recruit to what is reportedly an academic issue in September, this doesn’t change the long-term outlook of the team. It just means that Howard and company will have to play more minutes.
(h/t Testudo Times)
- George Washington joins ‘cool court club’, redesigns home floor 0
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 0
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 11
- Coach K on returning to Team USA: ‘There’s a chance’ 0
- Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Dickey goes 8, beats Rays for 2nd straight win
- PST: Mourinho officially leaving Real Madrid
- PHT: Stalberg returns to Hawks' lineup for Game 3
- PHT: Hawks look to boost intensity vs. Wings
- PFT: Brady says he's 'never felt better' throwing the ball
- PFT: Chad Johnson arrested for probation violation