Sep 11, 2012, 5:05 PM EDT
According to a report, Maryland will likely be without the services of Sam Cassell Jr. for the upcoming season due to academics. From InsideMDSports:
It’s unclear if the academic roadblock relates to coursework from Notre Dame or from his previous schools in his native Baltimore – Towson Catholic and St. Frances Academy – but Cassell is unlikely to play for Maryland during the upcoming season and possibly beyond, multiple prep coaches with knowledge of the situation told InsideMDSports.
The report also says that Cassell could remain committed to Maryland and attend a Junior College, but that there is a possibility he could end up transferring to a school that accepts partial qualifiers. There, he would sit out this season while getting himself academically eligible for 2013-2014.
The loss of Cassell hurts, but it won’t be a death-knell for Maryland’s season, particularly if Pe’Shon Howard is able to come back from last season’s torn ACL at 100% and Dezmine Wells catches a break and gets a waiver from the NCAA to be eligible immediately. If not, Howard will share backcourt duties with freshman scorer Seth Allen and Albany transfer Logan Aronhalt with Nick Faust, a potential breakout star, joining them at the three.
With Alex Len, Jake Layman and Shaquille Cleare up front, Maryland still has some potential this season.
But, if we’re being honest here, the Terps are probably still a season away from peaking as a program. So while it’s always frustrating to lose a recruit to what is reportedly an academic issue in September, this doesn’t change the long-term outlook of the team. It just means that Howard and company will have to play more minutes.
(h/t Testudo Times)
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Dayton unveils new logo, court and basketball uniforms (2)