Sep 11, 2012, 5:05 PM EDT
According to a report, Maryland will likely be without the services of Sam Cassell Jr. for the upcoming season due to academics. From InsideMDSports:
It’s unclear if the academic roadblock relates to coursework from Notre Dame or from his previous schools in his native Baltimore – Towson Catholic and St. Frances Academy – but Cassell is unlikely to play for Maryland during the upcoming season and possibly beyond, multiple prep coaches with knowledge of the situation told InsideMDSports.
The report also says that Cassell could remain committed to Maryland and attend a Junior College, but that there is a possibility he could end up transferring to a school that accepts partial qualifiers. There, he would sit out this season while getting himself academically eligible for 2013-2014.
The loss of Cassell hurts, but it won’t be a death-knell for Maryland’s season, particularly if Pe’Shon Howard is able to come back from last season’s torn ACL at 100% and Dezmine Wells catches a break and gets a waiver from the NCAA to be eligible immediately. If not, Howard will share backcourt duties with freshman scorer Seth Allen and Albany transfer Logan Aronhalt with Nick Faust, a potential breakout star, joining them at the three.
With Alex Len, Jake Layman and Shaquille Cleare up front, Maryland still has some potential this season.
But, if we’re being honest here, the Terps are probably still a season away from peaking as a program. So while it’s always frustrating to lose a recruit to what is reportedly an academic issue in September, this doesn’t change the long-term outlook of the team. It just means that Howard and company will have to play more minutes.
(h/t Testudo Times)
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)