Sep 11, 2012, 9:42 AM EDT
Oregon State head coach Craig Robinson scored a commitment Monday from 2013 St. Anthony (N.J.) guard Hallice Cooke, Brian Snowe of Scout.com is reporting.
Cooke, who played alongside Temple commit Josh Brown in the St. Anthony backcourt, becomes the third player committed to the Beavers from the Class of 2013.
He chose Oregon State over Richmond, St. Joe’s, and Xavier. Also in the mix during his recruitment were VCU and Butler.
VCU head coach Shaka Smart watched Cooke in the spring, but securing commitments from 2013 guard Jairus Lyles and a late pledge from 2012 former Miami commit Melvin Johnson crowded the Rams’ backcourt.
Cooke is a 6-3 point guard, now heading to a BCS school after being recruited mainly by high-end mid-majors.
He is a reliably passer who worked well in combination with Brown on the AAU circuit with Sports U and with St. Anthony. He has the ability to step out and connect from long distance and is a passer with good vision.
As a related note, Robinson, the brother of first lady Michelle Obama, made an appearance at last week’s Democratic National Convention. There, he playfully made a joke about how seven-foot recruits should give him a phone call.
Cooke might not be a seven-footer, but he is a solid addition to the Beaver backcourt.
- The key to recruiting Myles Turner: a good psychology department? 0
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 2
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 4
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (14)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ (5)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (4)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona