Sep 12, 2012, 7:52 PM EDT
Jim Calhoun’s not only one of college basketball’s legendary coaches, he’s also one of its legendary characters. Many an adjective – passionate, irascible, brilliant – applies, but the best? Quotable.
Calhoun, who’s retiring Thursday, was rarely boring. He was always around to speak his mind and provide reporters and fans with many an entertaining line. Who could forget this rant from 2009 when freelance reporter Ken Krayeske questioned his $1.6 million salary?
The bit was so memorable, Krayeske used it when he later ran for office.
Not that Calhoun – winner of three NCAA tournament titles, 877 career games, a Hall of Fame member and architect of the UCOnn program – could only provide blue comments. He could be eloquent as well.
Hard not to miss a guy like that. With any luck, his retirement with give us one more highlight.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- CBT Quotables Part IV: The Lawsons, Stephen Zimmerman, Malik Monk 1
- Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Rabb, Zimmerman go big, Chris Clarke goes hard, Lawson bros advance 0
- Nike Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Jayson Tatum, DeAndre Ayton and Briscoe vs. Trier 0
- Peach Jam Recruiting Notebook: Jamal Murray plays well, Tyler Davis has big day, Juwan Morgan likes two 0
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)