Sep 12, 2012, 7:52 PM EDT
Jim Calhoun’s not only one of college basketball’s legendary coaches, he’s also one of its legendary characters. Many an adjective – passionate, irascible, brilliant – applies, but the best? Quotable.
Calhoun, who’s retiring Thursday, was rarely boring. He was always around to speak his mind and provide reporters and fans with many an entertaining line. Who could forget this rant from 2009 when freelance reporter Ken Krayeske questioned his $1.6 million salary?
The bit was so memorable, Krayeske used it when he later ran for office.
Not that Calhoun – winner of three NCAA tournament titles, 877 career games, a Hall of Fame member and architect of the UCOnn program – could only provide blue comments. He could be eloquent as well.
Hard not to miss a guy like that. With any luck, his retirement with give us one more highlight.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Looking Forward: The eight most intriguing coaching hires of 2015 0
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ 4
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 8
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 4
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 (8)
- Report: Five-star small forward Jaylen Brown cuts list to four (6)
- Former Duke guard speaks publicly for first time since dismissal from team (5)