Sep 12, 2012, 7:52 PM EST
Jim Calhoun’s not only one of college basketball’s legendary coaches, he’s also one of its legendary characters. Many an adjective – passionate, irascible, brilliant – applies, but the best? Quotable.
Calhoun, who’s retiring Thursday, was rarely boring. He was always around to speak his mind and provide reporters and fans with many an entertaining line. Who could forget this rant from 2009 when freelance reporter Ken Krayeske questioned his $1.6 million salary?
The bit was so memorable, Krayeske used it when he later ran for office.
Not that Calhoun – winner of three NCAA tournament titles, 877 career games, a Hall of Fame member and architect of the UCOnn program – could only provide blue comments. He could be eloquent as well.
Hard not to miss a guy like that. With any luck, his retirement with give us one more highlight.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)