Sep 12, 2012, 7:52 PM EST
Jim Calhoun’s not only one of college basketball’s legendary coaches, he’s also one of its legendary characters. Many an adjective – passionate, irascible, brilliant – applies, but the best? Quotable.
Calhoun, who’s retiring Thursday, was rarely boring. He was always around to speak his mind and provide reporters and fans with many an entertaining line. Who could forget this rant from 2009 when freelance reporter Ken Krayeske questioned his $1.6 million salary?
The bit was so memorable, Krayeske used it when he later ran for office.
Not that Calhoun – winner of three NCAA tournament titles, 877 career games, a Hall of Fame member and architect of the UCOnn program – could only provide blue comments. He could be eloquent as well.
Hard not to miss a guy like that. With any luck, his retirement with give us one more highlight.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)