Sep 12, 2012, 6:35 PM EDT
According to a report from NBC Connecticut, Jim Calhoun is planning to retire as head coach of the UConn Huskies.
The report also says that “nothing has been finalized” and that Calhoun wants to speak with his team before he makes any announcement official. Both Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com and Kevin Duffy, who has owned the UConn beat for the past year, have tweeted that an announcement could come as early as tomorrow, but they haven’t been told what that announcement will be. (UPDATE: Jeff Goodman is now reporting that Calhoun will retire and Kevin Duffy has confirmed that Kevin Ollie will be the interim coach.)
This decision should come as absolutely no surprise to anyone.
The current AD at UConn, Warde Manuel, has made clear that he’s the one in charge and that he wants to make the decision about who Calhoun’s successor is. The exceedingly stubborn Calhoun wants Kevin Ollie to take over the program. Ollie has no head coaching experience, but he would have a staff with three former head coaches in Glen Miller, Karl Hobbs and George Blaney on it. By postponing the announcement of his retirement until right before the start of the season, Calhoun can all but force Manuel’s hand.
And wouldn’t that just be the most “Jim Calhoun” move ever?
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)