Sep 12, 2012, 6:35 PM EST
According to a report from NBC Connecticut, Jim Calhoun is planning to retire as head coach of the UConn Huskies.
The report also says that “nothing has been finalized” and that Calhoun wants to speak with his team before he makes any announcement official. Both Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com and Kevin Duffy, who has owned the UConn beat for the past year, have tweeted that an announcement could come as early as tomorrow, but they haven’t been told what that announcement will be. (UPDATE: Jeff Goodman is now reporting that Calhoun will retire and Kevin Duffy has confirmed that Kevin Ollie will be the interim coach.)
This decision should come as absolutely no surprise to anyone.
The current AD at UConn, Warde Manuel, has made clear that he’s the one in charge and that he wants to make the decision about who Calhoun’s successor is. The exceedingly stubborn Calhoun wants Kevin Ollie to take over the program. Ollie has no head coaching experience, but he would have a staff with three former head coaches in Glen Miller, Karl Hobbs and George Blaney on it. By postponing the announcement of his retirement until right before the start of the season, Calhoun can all but force Manuel’s hand.
And wouldn’t that just be the most “Jim Calhoun” move ever?
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)