Sep 12, 2012, 6:35 PM EDT
According to a report from NBC Connecticut, Jim Calhoun is planning to retire as head coach of the UConn Huskies.
The report also says that “nothing has been finalized” and that Calhoun wants to speak with his team before he makes any announcement official. Both Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com and Kevin Duffy, who has owned the UConn beat for the past year, have tweeted that an announcement could come as early as tomorrow, but they haven’t been told what that announcement will be. (UPDATE: Jeff Goodman is now reporting that Calhoun will retire and Kevin Duffy has confirmed that Kevin Ollie will be the interim coach.)
This decision should come as absolutely no surprise to anyone.
The current AD at UConn, Warde Manuel, has made clear that he’s the one in charge and that he wants to make the decision about who Calhoun’s successor is. The exceedingly stubborn Calhoun wants Kevin Ollie to take over the program. Ollie has no head coaching experience, but he would have a staff with three former head coaches in Glen Miller, Karl Hobbs and George Blaney on it. By postponing the announcement of his retirement until right before the start of the season, Calhoun can all but force Manuel’s hand.
And wouldn’t that just be the most “Jim Calhoun” move ever?
- Bracketology: Delaware, Manhattan, Wofford punch tickets 0
- 2014 SEC Tournament Preview: How will Kentucky, bubble teams fair? 0
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 1
- 2014 Big 12 Tournament Preview: This is going to be good 1
- 2014 Big East Tournament Preview: Can Villanova finally beat Creighton? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 4
- Bracketology: Florida in driver’s seat for overall No. 1 seed 5
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (8)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)