Sep 12, 2012, 6:35 PM EDT
According to a report from NBC Connecticut, Jim Calhoun is planning to retire as head coach of the UConn Huskies.
The report also says that “nothing has been finalized” and that Calhoun wants to speak with his team before he makes any announcement official. Both Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com and Kevin Duffy, who has owned the UConn beat for the past year, have tweeted that an announcement could come as early as tomorrow, but they haven’t been told what that announcement will be. (UPDATE: Jeff Goodman is now reporting that Calhoun will retire and Kevin Duffy has confirmed that Kevin Ollie will be the interim coach.)
This decision should come as absolutely no surprise to anyone.
The current AD at UConn, Warde Manuel, has made clear that he’s the one in charge and that he wants to make the decision about who Calhoun’s successor is. The exceedingly stubborn Calhoun wants Kevin Ollie to take over the program. Ollie has no head coaching experience, but he would have a staff with three former head coaches in Glen Miller, Karl Hobbs and George Blaney on it. By postponing the announcement of his retirement until right before the start of the season, Calhoun can all but force Manuel’s hand.
And wouldn’t that just be the most “Jim Calhoun” move ever?
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 26
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 6
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (26)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (6)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)