Sep 13, 2012, 9:18 PM EDT
Sean Miller has done it again.
He’s brought three impressive recruiting classes in a row to Tucson, headlined by one of the nation’s most impressive this year. And while Josiah Turner, the crown jewel of his 2011 class, turned out to be a massive bust, Miller solved his point guard problems this summer as he brought in Xavier transfer Mark Lyons to be his one-year stop-gap while Duquesne transfer TJ McConnell sits out the 2012-2013 season.
With all kinds of size coming in this year and with the point guard spot solidified, Miller’s efforts in the Class of 2013 had to turn to the wing, as Solomon Hill and Kevin Parrom are both entering their senior seasons.
On Thursday evening, Philly native Rondae Jefferson made his commitment to the Wildcats during an in-home visit. Jefferson is a top 15 recruit and a perfect fit for Arizona on the wing. Jefferson is a lanky and athletic 6-foot-6 small forward, but there is so much more to his game than simply being an athlete. He’s got a great first step and attacks the basket with reckless abandon. He’s also a terrific rebounder and defender, as one of his biggest strengths is how hard he plays the game. Talent and effort combined will take a player a long way.
But the part of Jefferson’s game that makes him special is that he is almost a point-forward. He needs to tighten up his handle and he has a penchant for trying to make spectacular plays that result in turnovers, but he sees the floor well and is a willing and capable passer. Putting Jefferson alongside McConnell, Nick Johnson, Grant Jerrett and Kaleb Tarczewski with the likes of Gabe York, Elliot Pitts, Angelo Chol and Brandon Ashley coming off the bench should scare a lot of people.
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 0
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games