Sep 13, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
One year after landing one of the best perimeter defenders in the 2012 class in Winston Shepard, San Diego State got even stronger in that regard with the verbal commitment of 2013 small forward Dakarai Allen.
Nephew of former Dallas Cowboys offensive lineman Larry Allen, Dakarai committing to a school headed to the Big West next season is a big commitment for Steve Fisher’s program.
Allen is their first 2013 commitment, and he apparently had to disregard some negative recruiting tactics when it came to the Aztecs’ future home during the process.
But that ultimately didn’t matter to neither Allen nor his family, and the end result is a Top 100 prospect heading to Montezuma Mesa.
“We don’t really care about that,” said Von Allen, Dakarai’s father and Larry’s brother. “We don’t get caught up in that. We just wanted my son to go a place where he can grow and thrive.”
From a skill standpoint Allen also said that he takes a lot from watching former San Diego State forward Kawhi Leonard, who developed into an All-American and a first round draft pick in his two seasons at SDSU.
But Allen sees himself more like another Aztec: Kawhi Leonard, the first-round draft choice (and rookie starter) of the San Antonio Spurs after two seasons at SDSU.
“Seeing what they did with Kawhi was a big influence,” said Allen, who doesn’t turn 18 until February and, based on doctors’ projections, expects to grow to 6-7. “I see myself trying to be just like him. I try to model my game after his.”
Allen, who attends Sheldon High in Elk Grove, California (just outside of Sacramento), joins a program that already has two Sacramento natives in junior guard Xavier Thames and senior guard Chase Tapley.
Tapley won’t be on campus in 2013 (neither will fellow seniors James Rahon and DeShawn Stephens) but when considering the talent that should be back, adding Allen means that San Diego State will have the pieces needed to remain in the national polls regardless of their conference affiliation.
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)