Sep 13, 2012, 10:39 AM EST
While USC lost its smallest player on Wednesday as 5-7 guard Maurice Jones tweeted his decision to transfer, the Trojans picked up some more size in the form of 7-2 Rice transfer Omar Oraby.
Oraby, a native of Cairo, Egypt, averaged 6.0 points, 3.6 rebounds and 1.6 blocked shots per game last season with his 54 blocks setting a school record.
His departure raised the number of players to leave the Rice program this off-season to five, while his arrival in Los Angeles means that Kevin O’Neill now has three 7-footers in the program.
Senior James Blasczyk and redshirt junior Dewayne Dedmon will have someone else to battle in practice, and the school plans to file a hardship waiver on Oraby’s behalf in hopes of making him eligible for games immediately.
If the NCAA denies the request Oraby will have two seasons of eligibility remaining beginning with the 2013-14 campaign, a year in which they’ll need his size and experience.
Blasczyk and Tennessee transfer Renaldo Woolridge will be out of eligibility (wings Aaron Fuller and Eric Wise will be as well), meaning that USC will need some size inside in 2013-14.
USC has 6-10 forward Nikola Jovanovic and 6-6 wing Roschon Prince on board next season, and those additions will help the numbers in the front court as well.
- Wisconsin wins 2014 Battle 4 Atlantis with 69-56 win over Oklahoma 0
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 1
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)