Sep 14, 2012, 6:43 PM EST
When Norvel Pelle committed to Iona about a month ago there was much excitement amongst Gael fans, as the talented Californian is capable of helping Tim Cluess’ team account for the loss of power forward Mike Glover.
Unfortunately fans will have to wait until at least January to find out what kind of impact Pelle can have, as he won’t be enrolling in the MAAC school until January as reported by Adam Zagoria of SNY.tv.
Norvel Pelle won't enroll at Iona until mid-season because the school has yet to get a ruling on him from the NCAA, source tells @SNYtv—
Adam Zagoria (@AdamZagoria) September 14, 2012
Pelle remaining in limbo likely had something to so with Iona signing junior college forward Shawn Jackson last week, which pushed them back to nine newcomers following the tragic shooting death of Michael Haynes.
Whether or not Pelle is cleared Iona was going to undergo a serious transformation with the departures of Glover, Scott Machado and Kyle Smyth.
Momo Jones, Sean Armand and Taaj Ridley are the lone returnees to have experience in an Iona uniform, with all three having varying roles on last season’s NCAA tournament team.
With the plethora of newcomers in New Rochelle these three will need to be leaders in addition to producers, and if they can do that Iona can once again contend in the MAAC.
But to not have Pelle during their non-conference schedule does hurt, because when “on” he’s a talented player who can have an impact on both ends of the floor.
Photo credit: USA Basketball/Steven Maikowski
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? 3
- North Carolina shows up ready to compete, knocks off No. 1 Michigan State 2
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role 2
- The Chase for 180: Doug McDermott’s tough night 0
- Michigan’s offensive struggles in 79-69 loss to Duke a major concern 1
- Marshall Henderson’s on-court antics aren’t changing. Deal with it (5)
- Tim Floyd tees off on Andy Enfield: ‘We’re not going to take it in the shorts’ (3)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (3)
- No. 20 Creighton gets 27 from Doug McDermott, stifles Jahii Carson in blowout (2)