Sep 14, 2012, 6:43 PM EDT
When Norvel Pelle committed to Iona about a month ago there was much excitement amongst Gael fans, as the talented Californian is capable of helping Tim Cluess’ team account for the loss of power forward Mike Glover.
Unfortunately fans will have to wait until at least January to find out what kind of impact Pelle can have, as he won’t be enrolling in the MAAC school until January as reported by Adam Zagoria of SNY.tv.
Norvel Pelle won't enroll at Iona until mid-season because the school has yet to get a ruling on him from the NCAA, source tells @SNYtv—
Adam Zagoria (@AdamZagoria) September 14, 2012
Pelle remaining in limbo likely had something to so with Iona signing junior college forward Shawn Jackson last week, which pushed them back to nine newcomers following the tragic shooting death of Michael Haynes.
Whether or not Pelle is cleared Iona was going to undergo a serious transformation with the departures of Glover, Scott Machado and Kyle Smyth.
Momo Jones, Sean Armand and Taaj Ridley are the lone returnees to have experience in an Iona uniform, with all three having varying roles on last season’s NCAA tournament team.
With the plethora of newcomers in New Rochelle these three will need to be leaders in addition to producers, and if they can do that Iona can once again contend in the MAAC.
But to not have Pelle during their non-conference schedule does hurt, because when “on” he’s a talented player who can have an impact on both ends of the floor.
Photo credit: USA Basketball/Steven Maikowski
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Contender for No. 1 in 2016 class, Harry Giles, cuts list to five 10
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)