Sep 14, 2012, 6:43 PM EDT
When Norvel Pelle committed to Iona about a month ago there was much excitement amongst Gael fans, as the talented Californian is capable of helping Tim Cluess’ team account for the loss of power forward Mike Glover.
Unfortunately fans will have to wait until at least January to find out what kind of impact Pelle can have, as he won’t be enrolling in the MAAC school until January as reported by Adam Zagoria of SNY.tv.
Norvel Pelle won't enroll at Iona until mid-season because the school has yet to get a ruling on him from the NCAA, source tells @SNYtv—
Adam Zagoria (@AdamZagoria) September 14, 2012
Pelle remaining in limbo likely had something to so with Iona signing junior college forward Shawn Jackson last week, which pushed them back to nine newcomers following the tragic shooting death of Michael Haynes.
Whether or not Pelle is cleared Iona was going to undergo a serious transformation with the departures of Glover, Scott Machado and Kyle Smyth.
Momo Jones, Sean Armand and Taaj Ridley are the lone returnees to have experience in an Iona uniform, with all three having varying roles on last season’s NCAA tournament team.
With the plethora of newcomers in New Rochelle these three will need to be leaders in addition to producers, and if they can do that Iona can once again contend in the MAAC.
But to not have Pelle during their non-conference schedule does hurt, because when “on” he’s a talented player who can have an impact on both ends of the floor.
Photo credit: USA Basketball/Steven Maikowski
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)
- Buffalo dismisses Justin Moss, reigning MAC Player of the Year, from team (2)
- Syracuse legend to undergo surgery on a brain tumor this week (2)