Sep 15, 2012, 11:21 AM EDT
Thomas bought close to $100,000 worth of jewelry from the New York-based man during his time with Duke, allegedly still owing him close to $68,000. But, reportedly because of the pending litigation, the NCAA won’t be getting much from the jeweler.
“My client has no interest in going beyond the merchandise Mr. Thomas took and didn’t pay for,” his attorney, Mike Bowers, said this week.
Thomas reportedly put $30,000 down toward the purchase of the jewelry, then being extended $67,800 in credit. The purchase took place on Dec. 21, 2009, right in the middle of Duke’s 2009-10 championship season.
The Associated Press details the situation that concerns the NCAA:
NCAA rules prohibit athletes from receiving benefits that aren’t available to the student body as a whole. If a violation of that kind is found, a school could be forced to give up a championship in which the athlete competed.
Thomas averaged 4.8 points and 4.8 rebounds per game during that season, appearing in 40 games for the Blue Devils.
The difficulty for the NCAA, though, comes in trying to attain information because the NCAA has no binding power that compels non-school officials or personnel from cooperating with the investigation, thus the reason they could run into a dead end with Thomas’ jeweler.
The inquiry is ongoing.
- Gregg Marshall to remain at Wichita State, won’t visit Alabama 1
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 5
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see (22)