Sep 16, 2012, 11:24 AM EST
As if the Kentucky-Indiana rivalry needed anything else to stoke the fire.
Trey Lyles, a Top-10 prospect from the Class of 2014, ended a long commitment to Indiana this summer. Not unheard of, obviously. Players decommit all the time.
But then came a report from Dan Dakich, radio host on Indianapolis’ ESPN 1070 The Fan, who said that sources told him that Lyles visited Kentucky in July, not only sticking it to Indiana, but also bringing up what would appear to be a recruiting violation.
According to NCAA rules, July is a “dead period,” meaning players cannot go to campus to meet with coaches and staff during that time.
Lyles’ father, Tom, has pushed back against Dakich’s report.
“[A visit on Sept. 1] was the first time ever,” he told the Louisville Courier-Journal. “…The only way he would have gotten there (another time) is if I would have taken him, and the last time I was on the campus of Kentucky (before Sept. 1) was in 1984.
“The accusations that (Dakich) put out there are totally uncalled for and totally untrue.”
“I’m not going to do anything to jeopardize this kid’s career, and I’m for damn sure not going to do anything to jeopardize his eligibility,” he went on to say.
The Lyles recruitment might see more headlines before we reach a conclusion, but there’s no doubt that the country’s best programs will be after him.
- Reductions in scholarship, off-campus recruiting will have significant impact on Syracuse moving forward 5
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim 34
- Bracketology: No. 1 seed line remains unsettled 6
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Carolina Part Two, and which bubble teams have the most on the line? 1
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 2
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim (34)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)