Sep 16, 2012, 11:24 AM EDT
As if the Kentucky-Indiana rivalry needed anything else to stoke the fire.
Trey Lyles, a Top-10 prospect from the Class of 2014, ended a long commitment to Indiana this summer. Not unheard of, obviously. Players decommit all the time.
But then came a report from Dan Dakich, radio host on Indianapolis’ ESPN 1070 The Fan, who said that sources told him that Lyles visited Kentucky in July, not only sticking it to Indiana, but also bringing up what would appear to be a recruiting violation.
According to NCAA rules, July is a “dead period,” meaning players cannot go to campus to meet with coaches and staff during that time.
Lyles’ father, Tom, has pushed back against Dakich’s report.
“[A visit on Sept. 1] was the first time ever,” he told the Louisville Courier-Journal. “…The only way he would have gotten there (another time) is if I would have taken him, and the last time I was on the campus of Kentucky (before Sept. 1) was in 1984.
“The accusations that (Dakich) put out there are totally uncalled for and totally untrue.”
“I’m not going to do anything to jeopardize this kid’s career, and I’m for damn sure not going to do anything to jeopardize his eligibility,” he went on to say.
The Lyles recruitment might see more headlines before we reach a conclusion, but there’s no doubt that the country’s best programs will be after him.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)