Sep 16, 2012, 11:24 AM EST
As if the Kentucky-Indiana rivalry needed anything else to stoke the fire.
Trey Lyles, a Top-10 prospect from the Class of 2014, ended a long commitment to Indiana this summer. Not unheard of, obviously. Players decommit all the time.
But then came a report from Dan Dakich, radio host on Indianapolis’ ESPN 1070 The Fan, who said that sources told him that Lyles visited Kentucky in July, not only sticking it to Indiana, but also bringing up what would appear to be a recruiting violation.
According to NCAA rules, July is a “dead period,” meaning players cannot go to campus to meet with coaches and staff during that time.
Lyles’ father, Tom, has pushed back against Dakich’s report.
“[A visit on Sept. 1] was the first time ever,” he told the Louisville Courier-Journal. “…The only way he would have gotten there (another time) is if I would have taken him, and the last time I was on the campus of Kentucky (before Sept. 1) was in 1984.
“The accusations that (Dakich) put out there are totally uncalled for and totally untrue.”
“I’m not going to do anything to jeopardize this kid’s career, and I’m for damn sure not going to do anything to jeopardize his eligibility,” he went on to say.
The Lyles recruitment might see more headlines before we reach a conclusion, but there’s no doubt that the country’s best programs will be after him.
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)