Sep 16, 2012, 9:44 AM EST
Competition spurs innovation and now, in response to Texas’ Longhorn Network, Oklahoma has linked up with Fox Sports to provide over 1,000 hours of Sooner programming annually as part of a 10-year agreement, the Associated Press is reporting.
From the AP:
The arrangement will allow for live game broadcasts of Oklahoma men’s and women’s basketball, baseball, softball and Olympic sports as well as pregame and postgame shows for football games, football coach Bob Stoops’ weekly television show and coverage of the annual spring football game.
“We did have a chance to examine several different options, including a stand-alone, 24/7 type of channel but this really gives us the best of all possible worlds,” athletic director Joe Castiglione told the AP.
“We have substantial OU branding and programming along with immediate and full distribution for fans throughout Oklahoma, Texas, our region and … through a variety of Fox platforms around the country.”
According to the report, programming would include a weekly show with head men’s basketball coach Lon Kruger, whose team finished 15-16 last season.
It’s not surprising, really, that Oklahoma would link up with Fox, as the realization has surfaced over the past few years: revenue and content go hand in hand. That’s why we have seen the Pac-12 begin its own network, as well as the Big 10, SEC, ACC, and Big East.
Now Lon Kruger, Bob Stoops, and the OU brass are trying to get a piece of the pie.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)