Sep 16, 2012, 9:44 AM EST
Competition spurs innovation and now, in response to Texas’ Longhorn Network, Oklahoma has linked up with Fox Sports to provide over 1,000 hours of Sooner programming annually as part of a 10-year agreement, the Associated Press is reporting.
From the AP:
The arrangement will allow for live game broadcasts of Oklahoma men’s and women’s basketball, baseball, softball and Olympic sports as well as pregame and postgame shows for football games, football coach Bob Stoops’ weekly television show and coverage of the annual spring football game.
“We did have a chance to examine several different options, including a stand-alone, 24/7 type of channel but this really gives us the best of all possible worlds,” athletic director Joe Castiglione told the AP.
“We have substantial OU branding and programming along with immediate and full distribution for fans throughout Oklahoma, Texas, our region and … through a variety of Fox platforms around the country.”
According to the report, programming would include a weekly show with head men’s basketball coach Lon Kruger, whose team finished 15-16 last season.
It’s not surprising, really, that Oklahoma would link up with Fox, as the realization has surfaced over the past few years: revenue and content go hand in hand. That’s why we have seen the Pac-12 begin its own network, as well as the Big 10, SEC, ACC, and Big East.
Now Lon Kruger, Bob Stoops, and the OU brass are trying to get a piece of the pie.
- Briante Weber suffers season-ending knee injury in No. 14 VCU’s loss to Richmond 0
- No. 4 Duke ends No. 2 Virginia’s unbeaten season 1
- Foul line, offensive rebounding aid No. 13 Louisville’s comeback effort 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 4 Duke rebounds to beat No. 2 Virginia, and No. 8 Notre Dame falls 0
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 1
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 2
- Rick Pitino on Terry Rozier’s impending NBA Draft decision: ‘He’s not coming back’ 0
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)