Sep 17, 2012, 11:32 AM EDT
Everyone that’s been to college knows what it’s like to be a broke college kid. Surviving on ramen noodles, chef boyardee and whatever you can manage to steal from the campus dining center is no way to go through life, unless you’re doing it to a) pay for a case of Red Dog or b) to pay for season tickets to the student section of your school’s basketball games.
And that’s what Michigan State did this weekend was so cool.
Michigan State students were each given one half-court shot attempt Wednesday for the chance to score season-long admissions into the Izzone, and 21 of them walked away with the 13-game ticket package worth $186 each.
The school set up regulation baskets on a field on campus, painted in lines in the grass along with the Spartans’ logo at center court, and saw hundreds of students over seven hours take their shots at free tickets.
The original plan was to hold the event until 10 people won tickets, holding a raffle for all participants for any remaining tickets should 10 people not make the shot.
But eventually the decision was made to allow anyone that made the shot to receive the season-tickets.
The coolest part? Tom Izzo, Branden Dawsen and Matt Costello, among others, all came out to lend their support to the students shooting. Dawson and Costello both made a half-court shot while there. Izzo? He air-balled one.
Stick to coaching, big guy.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)