Sep 17, 2012, 11:32 AM EDT
Everyone that’s been to college knows what it’s like to be a broke college kid. Surviving on ramen noodles, chef boyardee and whatever you can manage to steal from the campus dining center is no way to go through life, unless you’re doing it to a) pay for a case of Red Dog or b) to pay for season tickets to the student section of your school’s basketball games.
And that’s what Michigan State did this weekend was so cool.
Michigan State students were each given one half-court shot attempt Wednesday for the chance to score season-long admissions into the Izzone, and 21 of them walked away with the 13-game ticket package worth $186 each.
The school set up regulation baskets on a field on campus, painted in lines in the grass along with the Spartans’ logo at center court, and saw hundreds of students over seven hours take their shots at free tickets.
The original plan was to hold the event until 10 people won tickets, holding a raffle for all participants for any remaining tickets should 10 people not make the shot.
But eventually the decision was made to allow anyone that made the shot to receive the season-tickets.
The coolest part? Tom Izzo, Branden Dawsen and Matt Costello, among others, all came out to lend their support to the students shooting. Dawson and Costello both made a half-court shot while there. Izzo? He air-balled one.
Stick to coaching, big guy.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 1
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)