Sep 17, 2012, 11:32 AM EDT
Everyone that’s been to college knows what it’s like to be a broke college kid. Surviving on ramen noodles, chef boyardee and whatever you can manage to steal from the campus dining center is no way to go through life, unless you’re doing it to a) pay for a case of Red Dog or b) to pay for season tickets to the student section of your school’s basketball games.
And that’s what Michigan State did this weekend was so cool.
Michigan State students were each given one half-court shot attempt Wednesday for the chance to score season-long admissions into the Izzone, and 21 of them walked away with the 13-game ticket package worth $186 each.
The school set up regulation baskets on a field on campus, painted in lines in the grass along with the Spartans’ logo at center court, and saw hundreds of students over seven hours take their shots at free tickets.
The original plan was to hold the event until 10 people won tickets, holding a raffle for all participants for any remaining tickets should 10 people not make the shot.
But eventually the decision was made to allow anyone that made the shot to receive the season-tickets.
The coolest part? Tom Izzo, Branden Dawsen and Matt Costello, among others, all came out to lend their support to the students shooting. Dawson and Costello both made a half-court shot while there. Izzo? He air-balled one.
Stick to coaching, big guy.
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 0
- 2014 Big 12 Tournament Preview: This is going to be good 1
- 2014 Big East Tournament Preview: Can Villanova finally beat Creighton? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 4
- Bracketology: Florida in driver’s seat for overall No. 1 seed 5
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans 8
- Bubble Banter: Nebraska’s marquee win, St. Joseph’s problematic loss 0
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (8)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)