Sep 17, 2012, 11:32 AM EDT
Everyone that’s been to college knows what it’s like to be a broke college kid. Surviving on ramen noodles, chef boyardee and whatever you can manage to steal from the campus dining center is no way to go through life, unless you’re doing it to a) pay for a case of Red Dog or b) to pay for season tickets to the student section of your school’s basketball games.
And that’s what Michigan State did this weekend was so cool.
Michigan State students were each given one half-court shot attempt Wednesday for the chance to score season-long admissions into the Izzone, and 21 of them walked away with the 13-game ticket package worth $186 each.
The school set up regulation baskets on a field on campus, painted in lines in the grass along with the Spartans’ logo at center court, and saw hundreds of students over seven hours take their shots at free tickets.
The original plan was to hold the event until 10 people won tickets, holding a raffle for all participants for any remaining tickets should 10 people not make the shot.
But eventually the decision was made to allow anyone that made the shot to receive the season-tickets.
The coolest part? Tom Izzo, Branden Dawsen and Matt Costello, among others, all came out to lend their support to the students shooting. Dawson and Costello both made a half-court shot while there. Izzo? He air-balled one.
Stick to coaching, big guy.
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- In his first day of recruiting, Bruce Pearl lands Auburn a four-star forward (4)
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)