Sep 17, 2012, 10:37 AM EST
Rick Pitino cut ties with Cat Barber earlier this month, and many speculated that it was the result of the Cardinals targeting Northwest Florida’s point guard, Chris Jones.
It looks like that speculation has been proven correct.
Jones, the No. 1 JuCo player in the country, committed to Louisville on Monday.
Jones had taken an official visit to Louisville this past weekend, this third straight weekend on the road. He had also taken officials to Baylor and Oklahoma State. He’ll likely be the replacement for Peyton Siva at the starting point guard spot, fitting in with Russ Smith, Wayne Blackshear and Luke Hancock in the Cardinal’s perimeter rotation.
Perhaps the most interesting story line here is that Jones will finally be teaming up with Louisville’s sophomore guard Kevin Ware. Both players were top 50 players in the Class of 2011 that had signed with Bruce Pearl at Tennessee, and both left when Pearl was fired.
It will also be interesting to see what happens with Terry Rozier. Rozier was originally a member of Louisville’s Class of 2012, but he didn’t make it into school this year. He’ll be spending a season at Hargrave Military Academy, a prep school that Louisville has close ties with. Montrezl Harrell went there, Class of 2013 commit Anton Gill currently goes there and assistant coach Kevin Keatts used to coach there.
Did Jones just take Rozier’s spot?
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)