Sep 17, 2012, 10:37 AM EST
Rick Pitino cut ties with Cat Barber earlier this month, and many speculated that it was the result of the Cardinals targeting Northwest Florida’s point guard, Chris Jones.
It looks like that speculation has been proven correct.
Jones, the No. 1 JuCo player in the country, committed to Louisville on Monday.
Jones had taken an official visit to Louisville this past weekend, this third straight weekend on the road. He had also taken officials to Baylor and Oklahoma State. He’ll likely be the replacement for Peyton Siva at the starting point guard spot, fitting in with Russ Smith, Wayne Blackshear and Luke Hancock in the Cardinal’s perimeter rotation.
Perhaps the most interesting story line here is that Jones will finally be teaming up with Louisville’s sophomore guard Kevin Ware. Both players were top 50 players in the Class of 2011 that had signed with Bruce Pearl at Tennessee, and both left when Pearl was fired.
It will also be interesting to see what happens with Terry Rozier. Rozier was originally a member of Louisville’s Class of 2012, but he didn’t make it into school this year. He’ll be spending a season at Hargrave Military Academy, a prep school that Louisville has close ties with. Montrezl Harrell went there, Class of 2013 commit Anton Gill currently goes there and assistant coach Kevin Keatts used to coach there.
Did Jones just take Rozier’s spot?
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (5)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)