Sep 17, 2012, 10:37 AM EDT
Rick Pitino cut ties with Cat Barber earlier this month, and many speculated that it was the result of the Cardinals targeting Northwest Florida’s point guard, Chris Jones.
It looks like that speculation has been proven correct.
Jones, the No. 1 JuCo player in the country, committed to Louisville on Monday.
Jones had taken an official visit to Louisville this past weekend, this third straight weekend on the road. He had also taken officials to Baylor and Oklahoma State. He’ll likely be the replacement for Peyton Siva at the starting point guard spot, fitting in with Russ Smith, Wayne Blackshear and Luke Hancock in the Cardinal’s perimeter rotation.
Perhaps the most interesting story line here is that Jones will finally be teaming up with Louisville’s sophomore guard Kevin Ware. Both players were top 50 players in the Class of 2011 that had signed with Bruce Pearl at Tennessee, and both left when Pearl was fired.
It will also be interesting to see what happens with Terry Rozier. Rozier was originally a member of Louisville’s Class of 2012, but he didn’t make it into school this year. He’ll be spending a season at Hargrave Military Academy, a prep school that Louisville has close ties with. Montrezl Harrell went there, Class of 2013 commit Anton Gill currently goes there and assistant coach Kevin Keatts used to coach there.
Did Jones just take Rozier’s spot?
- How can Wichita State build on the two best years in program history? 0
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Report: Top Oregon recruit denied admission to school (2)
- Coach K: ‘I do not see an end of my road in my college coaching’ (1)