Sep 17, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
We’re knee-deep in college football season, so wading through college sports news gets pretty treacherous for news-gatherers like myself. Or maybe there just isn’t a lot going on in the college basketball world.
- 21 Michigan State students hit half-court shots earning them season tickets to “The Izzone”
- The Oklahoma Sooners are one of the handful of teams you should keep and eye out for this season. Lon Kruger enters his second season as head coach in Norman, OK and he has an interesting crew coming back, including Romero Osby, who had his best season last year. The former-Ole Miss forward looks to make the most out of his senior season
- Andrew Wiggins is arguably the top 2013 recruit in the country. He’s so good his prep school coach he could start for an NBA team right now. College? We talkin’ bout college? Not the NBA, the NBA, the NBA. We talkin’ bout college?
- John Groce has not had a lot of time to work the recruiting trail in Illinois, but the first year Illini head coach has already landed a big-time recruit. Navigating the Chicago AAU scene has always been difficult, so Groce’s ability to nab Class of 2013 guard Kendrick Nunn should be a huge positive for Illini fans
- Anthony “Cat” Barber is joining the Wolfpack. The five-star Class of 2013 guard committed to North Carolina State this weekend, and is yet another highly touted recruit that Mark Gottfried was able to reel in. Barber is an interesting case, and this article highlights the situation
- Arkansas head coach Mike Anderson may have found himself another athletic big-man that will fit into the “40 Minutes of Hell” style of play very well. Moses Kingsley (All-Name-Team candidate) is a 6-foot-9 Class of 2013 center who has been compared to Louisville’s Gorgui Dieng, and will be joining a squad loaded with young athletic talent
- Malcolm and Marcus Allen (No, not the Hall of Fame running back), the dynamic pair of Las Vegas twins, verbally committed to Standford this weekend
- If you’re looking for an entertaining team (good or bad) to follow this season, the Maryland Terrapins might be the program for you. Mark Turgeon’s roster is in a constant state of flux, and with non-conference games against Kentucky and Northwestern, it will be feast or famine for the hard-shells in 2012-2013
- Angelo Chol is the only returning big-man for the Arizona Wildcats, and the experience he gained during his freshman season proved to be vital for his growth and development. But as Bruce Pascoe explains, with the wealth of freshman front court talent, the Sudanese big-man will have to earn his spot down low
- So it’s almost set in stone that Pittsburgh won’t face West Virginia in the “Backyard Brawl” this season. But don’t worry, both schools can build great, unique and fresh rivalries in their new conferences……#Sarcasm. Seriously, if these two teams don’t meet this season, it will be the first time Pitt and WVU have not squared off on the hardwood in nearly 100 years. But what’s 100 years worth of history when the ACC provides better revenue sharing?
- Jason Groves highlights the non-conference schedule for the 2012-2013 New Mexico State Aggies
- Hip-hop sensation Drake credits John Calipari and #BBN for motivating him to graduate high school
- Speaking of Kentucky, here is the best recap of the Alumni Weekend festivities in Lexington
- Another solid article documenting the retirement of UConn head coach Jim Calhoun. Speaking of Calhoun, the legendary head coach accepted the Mannie Jackson Award for Human Spirit at the Basketball Hall of Fame Ceremony this weekend
- The Bradley Braves held their first full team practice of the season over the weekend. Head coach Geno Ford is looking forward to a much improved season for his squad
- Meet Isaac Fotu. He’s freshman forward for Hawaii and hails from Torbay, Auckland, New Zealand He also has one of the best afros in the country
Remember, if you find an article that is worthy of being in The Morning Mix, be sure to use the #ReadoftheDay hashtag on Twitter.
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 1
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 13
- Coach K on returning to Team USA: ‘There’s a chance’ 0
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims