Sep 18, 2012, 9:35 AM EDT
Chrishawn Hopkins, a 6-1 guard who was dismissed from the Butler basketball team last week, will transfer to another school, the Indianapolis Star is reporting.
“I will be transferring,” Hopkins told the paper. “It’s just a matter of time.”
Hopkins was dismissed by coach Brad Stevens for a violation of team rules, with his coach calling the action a “consequence” for a failure to meet the program’s standards.
“It’s out of my hands,” Stevens told the Star. “The bottom line is, I’m not going to talk any more about it.”
According to the Star, Hopkins is waiting for word from the NCAA as to whether he would be able to transfer to another Division I institution for the fall semester, which would accelerate his timeline for eligibility at a new school.
If he were forced to wait until the spring semester to transfer, that would mean that the 22-year-old Hopkins would not be eligible until December of 2013, the start of the second semester next season.
If he were to transfer to Division II, as we have seen some players do before, he would be eligible to play right away.
Hopkins was the second-leading scorer last season for Brad Stevens’ team, averaging 9.1 points and 2.4 rebounds per game. He is a native of Indianapolis.
The Bulldogs begin their 2012-13 season on Nov. 10 against Elon.
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)
- Blue Ribbon releases their Preseason First Team All-Americans (1)