Sep 18, 2012, 2:28 PM EST
Scott Drew grabbed his first commitment from the Class of 2014 Monday, as Memphis native Leron Black pledged his named to Baylor, according to John Martin of the Commercial Appeal.
Black, a Top-25 prospect, continues Drew’s recent recruiting successes, which include a 2012 class that features Isaiah Austin, Ricardo Gathers, and LJ Rose.
“At first it was the religion,” Black told ESPN.com. “Then, second of all it was the basketball. They’ve been to the Elite Eight the past two years and this year they sent three players to the NBA. When I was on campus the academics were real good.”
“When I went on the unofficial, it was great,” Black continued. “It looked good and it’s the biggest Baptist school in the country and I’m a big Christian.”
At 6-7, 215 pounds, Black is another athletic forward that Drew can insert into his system, running the floor and attacking in transition.
Baylor finished 30-8 last season, including 12-6 in the Big 12, before losing to eventual national champion Kentucky in the Elite 8.
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 1
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)