Sep 18, 2012, 2:28 PM EDT
Scott Drew grabbed his first commitment from the Class of 2014 Monday, as Memphis native Leron Black pledged his named to Baylor, according to John Martin of the Commercial Appeal.
Black, a Top-25 prospect, continues Drew’s recent recruiting successes, which include a 2012 class that features Isaiah Austin, Ricardo Gathers, and LJ Rose.
“At first it was the religion,” Black told ESPN.com. “Then, second of all it was the basketball. They’ve been to the Elite Eight the past two years and this year they sent three players to the NBA. When I was on campus the academics were real good.”
“When I went on the unofficial, it was great,” Black continued. “It looked good and it’s the biggest Baptist school in the country and I’m a big Christian.”
At 6-7, 215 pounds, Black is another athletic forward that Drew can insert into his system, running the floor and attacking in transition.
Baylor finished 30-8 last season, including 12-6 in the Big 12, before losing to eventual national champion Kentucky in the Elite 8.
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4