Sep 18, 2012, 2:28 PM EDT
Scott Drew grabbed his first commitment from the Class of 2014 Monday, as Memphis native Leron Black pledged his named to Baylor, according to John Martin of the Commercial Appeal.
Black, a Top-25 prospect, continues Drew’s recent recruiting successes, which include a 2012 class that features Isaiah Austin, Ricardo Gathers, and LJ Rose.
“At first it was the religion,” Black told ESPN.com. “Then, second of all it was the basketball. They’ve been to the Elite Eight the past two years and this year they sent three players to the NBA. When I was on campus the academics were real good.”
“When I went on the unofficial, it was great,” Black continued. “It looked good and it’s the biggest Baptist school in the country and I’m a big Christian.”
At 6-7, 215 pounds, Black is another athletic forward that Drew can insert into his system, running the floor and attacking in transition.
Baylor finished 30-8 last season, including 12-6 in the Big 12, before losing to eventual national champion Kentucky in the Elite 8.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UCF lands a unique center, Tennessee’s impact wing, Saint Louis gets rising center 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 6 Virginia Cavaliers 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 1
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- Sophomore guard decides to leave Kansas program (3)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)