Sep 18, 2012, 12:54 PM EDT
Tom Izzo’s Michigan State Spartans lost some depth on their bench Monday, as it was announced that freshman forward Kenny Kaminski underwent shoulder surgery and would miss 4-6 months.
The injury and time required to recover means Kaminski will likely redshirt this season, leaving him with four full years of eligibility when he is healthy.
This is a recurring injury for Kaminski, who missed most of last season due to problems with the same shoulder.
In his last full season of high school, his junior year, he averaged close to 20 points and 10 rebounds per game.
At 6-8 and 245 pounds, Kaminski was part of a four-man recruiting class for the Spartans from the Class of 2012, along with guard Gary Harris, Matt Costello, and Denzel Valentine.
Michigan State is coming off of a 29-8 season, which includes 13-5 in the Big Ten, and is projected by many to be in the Top 20 when polls are released this fall.
Though the Spartans lose leading scorer and rebounder Draymond Green, guard Keith Appling returns, having averaged 11.3 points last season.
Michigan State will open its season overseas in Germany against Connecticut on Nov. 9. Ramstein Air Base will play host to the game.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UCF lands a unique center, Tennessee’s impact wing, Saint Louis gets rising center 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 6 Virginia Cavaliers 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 1
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- Sophomore guard decides to leave Kansas program (3)
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)