Sep 18, 2012, 12:54 PM EDT
Tom Izzo’s Michigan State Spartans lost some depth on their bench Monday, as it was announced that freshman forward Kenny Kaminski underwent shoulder surgery and would miss 4-6 months.
The injury and time required to recover means Kaminski will likely redshirt this season, leaving him with four full years of eligibility when he is healthy.
This is a recurring injury for Kaminski, who missed most of last season due to problems with the same shoulder.
In his last full season of high school, his junior year, he averaged close to 20 points and 10 rebounds per game.
At 6-8 and 245 pounds, Kaminski was part of a four-man recruiting class for the Spartans from the Class of 2012, along with guard Gary Harris, Matt Costello, and Denzel Valentine.
Michigan State is coming off of a 29-8 season, which includes 13-5 in the Big Ten, and is projected by many to be in the Top 20 when polls are released this fall.
Though the Spartans lose leading scorer and rebounder Draymond Green, guard Keith Appling returns, having averaged 11.3 points last season.
Michigan State will open its season overseas in Germany against Connecticut on Nov. 9. Ramstein Air Base will play host to the game.
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 0
- Las Vegas Thursday Recap: Skal Labissiere, Stephen Zimmerman perform well 0
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Dayton unveils new logo, court and basketball uniforms (2)