Sep 18, 2012, 12:54 PM EDT
Tom Izzo’s Michigan State Spartans lost some depth on their bench Monday, as it was announced that freshman forward Kenny Kaminski underwent shoulder surgery and would miss 4-6 months.
The injury and time required to recover means Kaminski will likely redshirt this season, leaving him with four full years of eligibility when he is healthy.
This is a recurring injury for Kaminski, who missed most of last season due to problems with the same shoulder.
In his last full season of high school, his junior year, he averaged close to 20 points and 10 rebounds per game.
At 6-8 and 245 pounds, Kaminski was part of a four-man recruiting class for the Spartans from the Class of 2012, along with guard Gary Harris, Matt Costello, and Denzel Valentine.
Michigan State is coming off of a 29-8 season, which includes 13-5 in the Big Ten, and is projected by many to be in the Top 20 when polls are released this fall.
Though the Spartans lose leading scorer and rebounder Draymond Green, guard Keith Appling returns, having averaged 11.3 points last season.
Michigan State will open its season overseas in Germany against Connecticut on Nov. 9. Ramstein Air Base will play host to the game.
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 33
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 6
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (36)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (6)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)