Sep 18, 2012, 12:54 PM EDT
Tom Izzo’s Michigan State Spartans lost some depth on their bench Monday, as it was announced that freshman forward Kenny Kaminski underwent shoulder surgery and would miss 4-6 months.
The injury and time required to recover means Kaminski will likely redshirt this season, leaving him with four full years of eligibility when he is healthy.
This is a recurring injury for Kaminski, who missed most of last season due to problems with the same shoulder.
In his last full season of high school, his junior year, he averaged close to 20 points and 10 rebounds per game.
At 6-8 and 245 pounds, Kaminski was part of a four-man recruiting class for the Spartans from the Class of 2012, along with guard Gary Harris, Matt Costello, and Denzel Valentine.
Michigan State is coming off of a 29-8 season, which includes 13-5 in the Big Ten, and is projected by many to be in the Top 20 when polls are released this fall.
Though the Spartans lose leading scorer and rebounder Draymond Green, guard Keith Appling returns, having averaged 11.3 points last season.
Michigan State will open its season overseas in Germany against Connecticut on Nov. 9. Ramstein Air Base will play host to the game.
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 0
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- John Calipari: ‘We’re chasing perfection’ (14)
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Big Ten considering ‘protected rivalries’ for basketball schedule (9)
- Federal tax documents reveal that Mike Krzyzewski made $9.7 million in 2011 (4)
- Evan Gordon is transferring to Indiana (4)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months
- PHT: Canucks reportedly fire Vigneault, assistants