Sep 18, 2012, 12:54 PM EDT
Tom Izzo’s Michigan State Spartans lost some depth on their bench Monday, as it was announced that freshman forward Kenny Kaminski underwent shoulder surgery and would miss 4-6 months.
The injury and time required to recover means Kaminski will likely redshirt this season, leaving him with four full years of eligibility when he is healthy.
This is a recurring injury for Kaminski, who missed most of last season due to problems with the same shoulder.
In his last full season of high school, his junior year, he averaged close to 20 points and 10 rebounds per game.
At 6-8 and 245 pounds, Kaminski was part of a four-man recruiting class for the Spartans from the Class of 2012, along with guard Gary Harris, Matt Costello, and Denzel Valentine.
Michigan State is coming off of a 29-8 season, which includes 13-5 in the Big Ten, and is projected by many to be in the Top 20 when polls are released this fall.
Though the Spartans lose leading scorer and rebounder Draymond Green, guard Keith Appling returns, having averaged 11.3 points last season.
Michigan State will open its season overseas in Germany against Connecticut on Nov. 9. Ramstein Air Base will play host to the game.
- Jabari Parker, Rodney Hood score 54 in No. 4 Duke’s win over No. 14 UNC 0
- Bubble Banter: Oregon, Tennessee headline Saturday’s early winners 0
- Creighton’s Doug McDermott scores his 3,000th point (VIDEO) 0
- Oregon’s big win over No. 3 Arizona caps impressive regular season turnaround 1
- No. 8 Kansas loses, but The Andrew Wiggins Show is what’s important 1
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league 5
- Harvard wraps up third consecutive NCAA tournament berth (VIDEO) 0
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy (6)
- Bracketology: Eight teams in play for No. 1 seeds (6)