Sep 19, 2012, 10:26 AM EST
Kentucky enjoyed its national championship so much, it figured it might as well bring some memorabilia home.
John Calipari and the Wildcats will install close to 3,000 square feet of the 2012 national championship floor from the SuperDome in New Orleans into a renovated locker room at Rupp Arena.
“I’m not sure I’ve heard of any other locker room doing anything like this,” Calipari said in a release from the school. “But then again, it seems like here at Kentucky we do a lot of things that have never been done.”
Major pieces include the logo at center court, which will be placed in the middle of the team’s locker room, as well as the free throw line where Doron Lamb hit two late free throws.
As you’d expect, there is a recruiting angle to the move, which Calipari acknowledges.
“It does motivate when we’re bringing families in there and recruits in there and all of a sudden they’re like, ‘Wait a minute,’ ” Calipari said. “So yes, it’s going to be a motivating factor in us continuing to get the best and the brightest players here.”
The ironic part, though, is that most of the players integral to winning the championship will never step on the new locker room floor while suiting up for a UK game, as most have move on to the NBA, including Anthony Davis, Marquis Teague, Terrence Jones, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Darius Miller, and Lamb.
Calipari is working to raise money for charity, too, with the installation of the floor, partnering with Northwestern Mutual to auction off the remainder of the floor.
- College Basketball Talk’s Ten Most Disappointing Teams 0
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Who are the top five teams as of today? 1
- The Chase for 180: Jahii Carson’s improved jump shot 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top Ten Most Surprising Teams 1
- Two losses in a row? Three in 11 days? Oh well. Don’t give up on Kansas just yet 2
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (4)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- Why is Kentucky’s attendance going down? UK writer says Rupp is ‘stale’ (3)
- Late Night Snacks: Rhode Island rivalry and VCU’s overtime (2)
- Wisconsin guard George Marshall seeking transfer (2)