Sep 19, 2012, 8:40 AM EDT
It’s a common narrative in March for schools and players to come out of “nowhere” and excel on the national stage. That does happen to a certain extent, particularly given the way players develop on different schedules, but certain players choose a spot where they can develop and find success.
The recent flurry of weekend commitments were primarily important for BCS schools, but in extending a lens out to a week or more, some easy to identify difference makers have made their pledge for college basketball outside of major media attention. Some commitments that seem to be future March stars include the following:
- Murray State is one of the programs du jour lately, and it landed their point guard of the future in Memphis-native Cameron Payne. After playing against some of the top high school basketball leagues in the country, Payne emerged as Murray State’s top target for the all-important lead guard slot. He’s a guy who could emerge after some seasoning as a standout.
- North Carolina combo forward Tyrone Outlaw garnered more than his share of high major scholarship offers, and was a back-up option for some recognizable programs. Still, he’s a bit undersized to play power forward and doesn’t quite equate to a wing player in college. Outlaw’s overall production cannot be argued, and he’ll star at UNC-Greensboro after committing as their top target. Young head coach Wes Miller has already amassed a few supporting pieces to go with Outlaw.
- Jack Whitman is a skilled competitor who does not have the ideal strength and frame on his 6-7 height to fill a role at power forward at the high-major level. After impressing against stronger and more athletic players in Nike’s Elite Youth Basketball League, don’t bet against Whitman doing the same in college for William & Mary.
- Anders Broman is among the best pure shooters in his region (Minnesota) and is taking his game to South Dakota State. Their opponents will be forced to guard him once he passes half court. Also, jet quick, attacking lead guard Jordan Wilson doesn’t have ideal height at 5-8, but it should be fine in the Big Sky, where the SoCal lead guard will be playing at Northern Colorado.
- Quinnipiac scored a gritty, undersized point guard in Kasim Chandler. He may take some time to physically adjust to college hoops, but the backcourt skills are there. Also in the Northeast, Boston dipped in Florida for shooting guard Cedric Hankerson, who looks to be a multi-year starter for them. Hankerson will have to adjust to the weather, but is an extremely important recruit for Boston.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:47 PM EDT
Saint Louis will look to repeat as the Atlantic 10 Tournament champion, but it won’t be easy. The field in Brooklyn could have six, yes six, NCAA tournament-bound teams.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT
The debate about whether or not Wichita State is “for real” or “legit”, whether they’re a National Title contender or even a realistic pick to make the Final Four is tired at this point. They won’t play again until Selection Sunday. We will find out soon enough, and whatever ends up happening, it will be…
Mar 11, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT
Now 15 teams deep, the ACC’s showcase event will span five days in Greensboro. Between the new arrivals, one upcoming departure and a plethora of talented players, this will be must-see television.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT
The Duke star is NBCSports.com’s National Freshman of the Year.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:53 AM EDT
South Dakota will not be renewing the contract of their interim head coach.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:36 AM EDT
Click through to find out why it’s important to pay your rent on time.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:17 AM EDT
How safe is Gonzaga after last night’s win? Where will Delaware be seeded come Sunday?
Mar 11, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT
Florida is the best team in the country, let alone the SEC. But what else do we know about anyone in the league? Read why this week will tell us so much.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:52 AM EDT
Three more teams are dancing after tonight’s exhilarating conference tournament action.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:05 AM EDT
There are eight days left until Selection Sunday. Every morning from now until the bracket comes out, we’ll help you get caught up on the happenings with impact on the bubble from the night before. Our latest bracket projection can be found here. Gonzaga: The Zags entered Monday night’s WCC quarterfinal sitting in pretty good…
Mar 11, 2014, 12:43 AM EDT
In less than 36 months, Manhattan head coach Steve Masiello has taken the Jaspers from 6-25 to the NCAA tournament.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:05 AM EDT
Wofford is heading back to the NCAA tournament for the third time in the last five years.
Mar 10, 2014, 10:47 PM EDT
Cameron Bairstow spent his offseason toiling in international competition, and return to New Mexico with a chip on his shoulder. After a season spent toying with the other Mountain West frontcourts, Bairstow’s efforts might not get the necessary recognition.
Mar 10, 2014, 10:05 PM EDT
Highlights of Delaware’s win in the CAA title game, as seen on the NBC Sports Network.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:56 PM EDT
Can the Fightin’ Joe Bidens make their way out of the NCAA tournament’s opening round?
Mar 10, 2014, 9:43 PM EDT
The MAAC was one of the best mid-major conferences this season, but will that translate into an upset for Muh-hat-en?
Mar 10, 2014, 9:26 PM EDT
Joel Embiid will miss the Big 12 tournament and likely will be out for the first weekend of the NCAA tournament. What does this mean for Kansas?
Mar 10, 2014, 8:23 PM EDT
This is great. The bench mob for the Colby College Mules has extensive choreographed sideline celebrations. Their best is the “El Toro Tres Puntos”. Without a doubt. (h/t Colby’s finest)
Mar 10, 2014, 6:53 PM EDT
Louisiana Tech is fighting to stay on top of Conference USA after four teams tied atop the league standings with a 13-3 record during the regular season.
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 0
- NBCSports.com National Freshman of the Year: Jabari Parker, Duke 2
- Bracketology: Delaware, Manhattan, Wofford punch tickets 0
- 2014 SEC Tournament Preview: How will Kentucky, bubble teams fair? 0
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 1
- 2014 Big 12 Tournament Preview: This is going to be good 1
- 2014 Big East Tournament Preview: Can Villanova finally beat Creighton? 0
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (8)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)