Sep 19, 2012, 8:40 AM EDT
It’s a common narrative in March for schools and players to come out of “nowhere” and excel on the national stage. That does happen to a certain extent, particularly given the way players develop on different schedules, but certain players choose a spot where they can develop and find success.
The recent flurry of weekend commitments were primarily important for BCS schools, but in extending a lens out to a week or more, some easy to identify difference makers have made their pledge for college basketball outside of major media attention. Some commitments that seem to be future March stars include the following:
- Murray State is one of the programs du jour lately, and it landed their point guard of the future in Memphis-native Cameron Payne. After playing against some of the top high school basketball leagues in the country, Payne emerged as Murray State’s top target for the all-important lead guard slot. He’s a guy who could emerge after some seasoning as a standout.
- North Carolina combo forward Tyrone Outlaw garnered more than his share of high major scholarship offers, and was a back-up option for some recognizable programs. Still, he’s a bit undersized to play power forward and doesn’t quite equate to a wing player in college. Outlaw’s overall production cannot be argued, and he’ll star at UNC-Greensboro after committing as their top target. Young head coach Wes Miller has already amassed a few supporting pieces to go with Outlaw.
- Jack Whitman is a skilled competitor who does not have the ideal strength and frame on his 6-7 height to fill a role at power forward at the high-major level. After impressing against stronger and more athletic players in Nike’s Elite Youth Basketball League, don’t bet against Whitman doing the same in college for William & Mary.
- Anders Broman is among the best pure shooters in his region (Minnesota) and is taking his game to South Dakota State. Their opponents will be forced to guard him once he passes half court. Also, jet quick, attacking lead guard Jordan Wilson doesn’t have ideal height at 5-8, but it should be fine in the Big Sky, where the SoCal lead guard will be playing at Northern Colorado.
- Quinnipiac scored a gritty, undersized point guard in Kasim Chandler. He may take some time to physically adjust to college hoops, but the backcourt skills are there. Also in the Northeast, Boston dipped in Florida for shooting guard Cedric Hankerson, who looks to be a multi-year starter for them. Hankerson will have to adjust to the weather, but is an extremely important recruit for Boston.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:43 PM EDT
Late Sunday Vanderbilt landed its first commitment in the 2015 class, with shooting guard Camron Justice announcing his pledge via Twitter.
Apr 20, 2014, 9:02 PM EDT
USF lost two more players Saturday as guards Javontae Hawkins and Musa Abdul-Aleem decided to transfer.
Apr 20, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
UConn guard Ryan Boatright is still weighing whether or not to enter the 2014 NBA Draft.
Apr 20, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT
The 62nd annual Portsmouth Invitational Tournament wrapped up Saturday night, with former Marquette big man Davante Gardner winning MVP honors.
Apr 20, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
Houston landed a second junior college transfer Sunday, with Howard College product Eric Weary announcing his decision to commit to the program.
Apr 20, 2014, 4:07 PM EDT
More than three years later, Nick Resavy is still making ridiculous shots.
Apr 20, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
The electrifying point guard has put his name into the NBA draft.
Apr 20, 2014, 12:51 PM EDT
The Harrison twins are halfway through deciding on returning to Lexington or declaring for the NBA draft.
Apr 20, 2014, 12:02 PM EDT
Garrett becomes the fourth member of the Crimson Tide’s incoming class.
Apr 20, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
The Cougars landed a former top 100 recruit on Sunday morning.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Just over a week after his appeal to be released from his scholarship at Marshall was granted, Kareem Canty’s decided to transfer to Auburn.
Apr 20, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
Watch the incoming class showcase their talents in Brooklyn on Friday night.
Apr 20, 2014, 12:58 AM EDT
According to a report, Louisiana Tech’s Michael White is the focus of Tennessee’s search for a new head coach.
Apr 19, 2014, 9:17 PM EDT
A Kentucky fan promised to get a tattoo of Willie Cauley-Stein if the 7-footer returned to Lexington for his junior season. Saturday, Michael Gray followed through.
Apr 19, 2014, 7:36 PM EDT
UNLV has added another player to its 2014 recruiting class, as shooting guard Patrick McCaw verbally committed to the Mountain West program.
Apr 19, 2014, 6:24 PM EDT
Arizona State has made another addition to its roster, landing a commitment from former UNLV forward Savon Goodman.
Apr 19, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
Forward Zach LeDay has decided to leave the USF program after spending two seasons in Tampa.
Apr 19, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
New Florida A&M AD Kellen Winslow Sr. has already decided that the basketball program needs a new leader, as head coach Clemon Johnson was relieved of his duties Friday.
Apr 19, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
Will highly-touted Colombian center Tonny Trocha-Morelos finally be joining the Texas A&M program?
Apr 19, 2014, 2:39 PM EDT
Michigan had some open scholarships following the 2014 NBA Draft departures of Nik Stauskas and Glenn Robinson III and they filled one of those on Saturday with a commitment from senior guard Muhammad Ali Abdur-Rahkman.
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 4
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (17)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)