Sep 19, 2012, 3:47 PM EDT
It’s a process that every college coach hopes his new recruits go through: Getting into a college weight program and dropping some weight before the season begins.
Texas coach Rick Barnes has to be pleased with the progress of Cameron Ridley, his future big man and one of the crown jewels of the Longhorns’ 2012 class.
Ridley, coming to campus at 6-9, 305 pounds, has now reportedly dropped down to 290, thanks to work with Texas strength coach Todd Wright.
“The 6 a.m. workouts are pretty hard,” Ridley told the American-Statesman. “But it helps.”
Ridley is part of a six-man recruiting of which he is the centerpiece, along with fellow big man Prince Ibeh, guards Javan Felix and DeMarcus Holland, and forwards Conner Lammert and Ioannis Papapetrou.
The Longhorns are coming off a season in which they finished 20-14, including 9-9 in the Big 12. They were eliminated in the Round of 64 of the NCAA tournament by the Cincinnati Bearcats.
Leading scorer J’Covan Brown left school early to enter the NBA draft, but leading assists man Myck Kabongo looks to lead the team after what many considered to be an underachieving year for him.
Kabongo averaged 9.6 points and 5.2 assists per game.
To see footage of Ridley, Texas’ future post presence, click here.
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 0
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)