Sep 19, 2012, 3:47 PM EST
It’s a process that every college coach hopes his new recruits go through: Getting into a college weight program and dropping some weight before the season begins.
Texas coach Rick Barnes has to be pleased with the progress of Cameron Ridley, his future big man and one of the crown jewels of the Longhorns’ 2012 class.
Ridley, coming to campus at 6-9, 305 pounds, has now reportedly dropped down to 290, thanks to work with Texas strength coach Todd Wright.
“The 6 a.m. workouts are pretty hard,” Ridley told the American-Statesman. “But it helps.”
Ridley is part of a six-man recruiting of which he is the centerpiece, along with fellow big man Prince Ibeh, guards Javan Felix and DeMarcus Holland, and forwards Conner Lammert and Ioannis Papapetrou.
The Longhorns are coming off a season in which they finished 20-14, including 9-9 in the Big 12. They were eliminated in the Round of 64 of the NCAA tournament by the Cincinnati Bearcats.
Leading scorer J’Covan Brown left school early to enter the NBA draft, but leading assists man Myck Kabongo looks to lead the team after what many considered to be an underachieving year for him.
Kabongo averaged 9.6 points and 5.2 assists per game.
To see footage of Ridley, Texas’ future post presence, click here.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 2
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)