Sep 19, 2012, 3:47 PM EST
It’s a process that every college coach hopes his new recruits go through: Getting into a college weight program and dropping some weight before the season begins.
Texas coach Rick Barnes has to be pleased with the progress of Cameron Ridley, his future big man and one of the crown jewels of the Longhorns’ 2012 class.
Ridley, coming to campus at 6-9, 305 pounds, has now reportedly dropped down to 290, thanks to work with Texas strength coach Todd Wright.
“The 6 a.m. workouts are pretty hard,” Ridley told the American-Statesman. “But it helps.”
Ridley is part of a six-man recruiting of which he is the centerpiece, along with fellow big man Prince Ibeh, guards Javan Felix and DeMarcus Holland, and forwards Conner Lammert and Ioannis Papapetrou.
The Longhorns are coming off a season in which they finished 20-14, including 9-9 in the Big 12. They were eliminated in the Round of 64 of the NCAA tournament by the Cincinnati Bearcats.
Leading scorer J’Covan Brown left school early to enter the NBA draft, but leading assists man Myck Kabongo looks to lead the team after what many considered to be an underachieving year for him.
Kabongo averaged 9.6 points and 5.2 assists per game.
To see footage of Ridley, Texas’ future post presence, click here.
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Report: Gonzaga’s Josh Perkins broke his jaw (4)