Sep 19, 2012, 3:47 PM EST
It’s a process that every college coach hopes his new recruits go through: Getting into a college weight program and dropping some weight before the season begins.
Texas coach Rick Barnes has to be pleased with the progress of Cameron Ridley, his future big man and one of the crown jewels of the Longhorns’ 2012 class.
Ridley, coming to campus at 6-9, 305 pounds, has now reportedly dropped down to 290, thanks to work with Texas strength coach Todd Wright.
“The 6 a.m. workouts are pretty hard,” Ridley told the American-Statesman. “But it helps.”
Ridley is part of a six-man recruiting of which he is the centerpiece, along with fellow big man Prince Ibeh, guards Javan Felix and DeMarcus Holland, and forwards Conner Lammert and Ioannis Papapetrou.
The Longhorns are coming off a season in which they finished 20-14, including 9-9 in the Big 12. They were eliminated in the Round of 64 of the NCAA tournament by the Cincinnati Bearcats.
Leading scorer J’Covan Brown left school early to enter the NBA draft, but leading assists man Myck Kabongo looks to lead the team after what many considered to be an underachieving year for him.
Kabongo averaged 9.6 points and 5.2 assists per game.
To see footage of Ridley, Texas’ future post presence, click here.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)