Sep 19, 2012, 3:47 PM EST
It’s a process that every college coach hopes his new recruits go through: Getting into a college weight program and dropping some weight before the season begins.
Texas coach Rick Barnes has to be pleased with the progress of Cameron Ridley, his future big man and one of the crown jewels of the Longhorns’ 2012 class.
Ridley, coming to campus at 6-9, 305 pounds, has now reportedly dropped down to 290, thanks to work with Texas strength coach Todd Wright.
“The 6 a.m. workouts are pretty hard,” Ridley told the American-Statesman. “But it helps.”
Ridley is part of a six-man recruiting of which he is the centerpiece, along with fellow big man Prince Ibeh, guards Javan Felix and DeMarcus Holland, and forwards Conner Lammert and Ioannis Papapetrou.
The Longhorns are coming off a season in which they finished 20-14, including 9-9 in the Big 12. They were eliminated in the Round of 64 of the NCAA tournament by the Cincinnati Bearcats.
Leading scorer J’Covan Brown left school early to enter the NBA draft, but leading assists man Myck Kabongo looks to lead the team after what many considered to be an underachieving year for him.
Kabongo averaged 9.6 points and 5.2 assists per game.
To see footage of Ridley, Texas’ future post presence, click here.
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? 3
- North Carolina shows up ready to compete, knocks off No. 1 Michigan State 2
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role 2
- The Chase for 180: Doug McDermott’s tough night 0
- Michigan’s offensive struggles in 79-69 loss to Duke a major concern 1
- Marshall Henderson’s on-court antics aren’t changing. Deal with it (5)
- Tim Floyd tees off on Andy Enfield: ‘We’re not going to take it in the shorts’ (3)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (3)
- No. 20 Creighton gets 27 from Doug McDermott, stifles Jahii Carson in blowout (2)